• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Germany plans Veterans' Day for fallen soldiers INCLUDING those who fought in WWII

Don't see any problem in this, many ordinary soldiers were just following orders and towards the end of the war you had many kids fighting who were also killed, they too were victims of that terrible war and now that German troops are fighting alongside NATO allies I guess they've earned their right to honour their dead, many of whom weren't Nazis. As long as this is a remembrance of the dead rather than a celebration of past military might I don't think too many people will be offended as many Germans also needlessly died due to Hitlers crazy policies.

Honouring the Nazis: Germany plans Veterans' Day for fallen soldiers INCLUDING those who fought in Second World War

* May 22 will honour Germany's living and dead soldiers
* Anger at army being honoured, given bloody history

Germany is breaking one of its major post-war taboos by announcing there will be an annual Veterans' Day to remember fallen soldiers.

The country's defence minister has unleashed a storm of criticism from opposition politicians and pacifists who object to the army being honoured given Germany's bloody past in the 20th century.

German Defence Minister Thomas de Maizière has proposed May 22 as an annual Veterans’ Day to honour former soldiers living and dead.

article-2125006-0080880200000578-30_468x457.jpg

Taboo: Germany will have an annual Veterans' Day to remember fallen soldiers, including those pictured here who invaded Austria in 1938

This would mean honouring those troops of both world wars who acted as aggressors - and in the case of the Nazis in World War 2 - often as criminals.

'Against the background of our operations and the questions they pose our society, it is time to speak objectively and openly about our veterans' policy,' de Maizière said.

The centre-left Social Democratic Party is against the move. 'I'm sceptical whether there can be a day that really reaches society,' said SPD defence spokesman Rainer Arnold.

'If the defence minister wants to do something for former soldiers, he should get some money and improve their social security, instead of invoking some cheap 'ideal honour',' said Left party defence spokesman Paul Schaefer.

article-2125006-027792A30000044D-564_468x340.jpg

Tributes: German soldiers, such as these ones engaged in the trenches in the First World War, will be honours on the Veterans' Day

The Green Party was equally scathing. Their defence expert Omid Nouripour called the Veterans Day nothing but a 'fig-leaf' for a minister who is 'avoiding his core duties'.

He condemned the Veterans' Day as 'superfluous', unless it was used to open a debate on military operations abroad - and also honoured development workers and diplomats abroad.

Germany's first foreign military mission since World War II took place in 1991 during the second Gulf War.

Since then since 300,000 German soldiers have been in action abroad and more than 100 have been killed.

More than 5million German servicemen fell in WW2, and 2million in the First World War.

There has not been a specific day to honour the military dead ever since the Third Reich fell in 1945.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...NCLUDING-fought-World-Wars.html#ixzz1r6xWm6pW

Vanilla Bear

Bears For Life
Re: Germany plans Veterans' Day for fallen soldiers INCLUDING those who fought in WWI

I think our soldiers (ESPECIALLY the ones that fought in WWII) deserve a Veteran's Day just as many other countries have.

It has nothing to do with appreciating/cherishing NAZIs you stupid left wing fools!

vodkazvictim

Why save the world, when you can rule it?
Re: Germany plans Veterans' Day for fallen soldiers INCLUDING those who fought in WWI

I blame the Jews.
Insensitive/10

Not all germans were nazis. Not all soldiers were.
Don't forget that after the 1918 amistice of WWI, the Treaty of Versailles forced Germany to pay a very hard price. Most german suffered because of it. Then came the 30' economy crisis wich make them suffer even more. So, by the end of the 30' many germans joined the army because the wanted revenge on France and England.
Also, from November 1944 and 'till the end of the war, every german citizen old enough to carry a weapon was part of the Volkssturm, a civil militia. The very last german defenders of Berlin were kids and old men carrying old fashioned weapons.

Nations wich had the most loss during WWII :
1) Russia : 22.000.000 loss (including 10.000.000 military)
2) China : 20.000.000 loss (including 4.000.000 military)
3) Germany : 9.000.000 (including 5.500.000 military)

I'm ok with it... As said, not all Germans were Nazis, just like not all the Allied soldiers were saints.

I'm also sure that a lot of those soldiers didn't have much of a choice in being soldiers. The alternative with refusing would have probably been unpleasant.

Mayhem

Banned

From the Dept. of Redundancy Dept., there was a BIG difference between being a Nazi and being in the German Army/Navy/etc. The tragedy of WWII, among others, is the generation of fine, young men that were thrown away by dipshit world leaders. Of course they should be honored.

bahodeme

Closed Account

Right or wrong, they paid the ultimate price for their country. There should be no issue.

LukeEl

I am a failure to the Korean side of my family

Don't forget about Indiana Jones too he needs to be honored. All kidding aside there is a chapter in World War Z from the German commander's perspective that explains the difference between German soldiers and Nazis during World War II.

Tell you what gentlemen, I´m very lucky we lost WWII. Cause I think none of us would like to *defense his country* right by the Volga- river or in northern Africa.
And sometimes I ask myself why we are defending our country in Afghanistan ?? .... because this fucking idiot of a bush-baby was asking for it .....??

And yes, I think our veterans should have been thought of .

xfire

New Twitter/X @cxffreeman

Honoring veterans isn't the same as honoring the evil tyrant that sent them to war.

vodkazvictim

Why save the world, when you can rule it?

Tell you what gentlemen, I´m very lucky we lost WWII. Cause I think none of us would like to *defense his country* right by the Volga- river or in northern Africa.
And sometimes I ask myself why we are defending our country in Afghanistan ?? .... because this fucking idiot of a bush-baby was asking for it .....??

And yes, I think our veterans should have been thought of .
Interesting to see a Deutsche perspective on this.

Rey C.

Racing is life... anything else is just waiting.

Here in the U.S. we don't exclude fallen Confederate rebels from Veteran's Day celebrations. In many southern U.S. cities, there are even monuments built (with public funds) honoring them. So good cause or bad cause, at least these German soldiers were fighting for their country, and not against it.

The Romans undertook a wholesale slaughter of the inhabitants of Gaul, and other places where the population resisted them. And they weren't exactly patient with the inhabitants of Britannia. But at some point, people have to move on. I hope that some time before the end of my life, we will see the German people no longer being held under this guilt complex for something that happened over 70 years ago.

From my POV it´s about time to STOP all kinda war´s . it´s a lot better and much more healthy to sit 200 x at the round table but spending only 1 life in war - actions. OTHERWISE there has to be a control-institution which is ( in doubt ) able to send despotes like saddam, bin Laden, Assad , ...to hell.
And they need to be sent to hell VERY FAST , .. not that it takes 10 years to get such an azzhole ... I really wondered about this .

bahodeme

Closed Account

From my POV it´s about time to STOP all kinda war´s . it´s a lot better and much more healthy to sit 200 x at the round table but spending only 1 life in war - actions. OTHERWISE there has to be a control-institution which is ( in doubt ) able to send despotes like saddam, bin Laden, Assad , ...to hell.
And they need to be sent to hell VERY FAST , .. not that it takes 10 years to get such an azzhole ... I really wondered about this .

Mainly it is because their liability became more than their worth. I'll use Saddam as an example. The U.S. had problems with Iran, Syria at the time. The head of Iraq met an "untimely" demise and Saddam was placed in power. Since he decided to wage war with Iran, the U.S. did not have a problem with Saddam's dictatorship. Even when he "mistakenly" fired on one of our warships. He claimed mistaken identity and all was forgiven. The same with Bin Laden. So long as he was fighting against the Soviet Union, he was fine with the U.S. Govt. This also goes with Russia and other countries. So long as the phrase "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" is applied politically, there is no direct interest for all out removal of dictators.

Last edited:

They were their boys why shouldn't they remember them. Win lose or draw you remember your own.

So long as the phrase "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" is applied politically, there is no direct interest for all out removal of dictators.

It´s a fucking shame but I think youré RIGHT !

They have a right to remember the dead from past wars if they want to do so. It's their business.

The only reason I think some will try and make a mountain out of a mole hill with this one is because WWII is still kind of fresh in peoples minds compared to many other battles in history. But I don't see any problem with remembering the dead soldiers from your own country. There's a difference between doing that and supporting nazi antics. But the mentality of some causes them to think they are one and the same thing.