• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Foreign film recommendations

Can anyone recommend me some good foreign films that are worth watching ideally from the far east ie Japan, China, Thailand, Korea etc

Some great films i have seen are :-

The Raid 1 and 2
Ong Bak 1, 2 and 3
All of the Police story series
The Piper
Like Father, Like Son
Death Tube

Space Battleship Yamato (2010)

This is really well-made. The visuals rival hollywood sci-fi flicks of that time.

Powerful performances by it's lead actors which is why I would recommend watching the subtitled version (not that the dubbed is bad).

In short, I love this movie, so you KNOW it's good.

House of Flying Daggers is a beautiful movie:

"The Villainess." Has a "La Femma Nikita" vibe to it - but Asian, obviously!

I have seen that. Great film though. Got my copy on blu ray.

What i don't understand is why some films in the region don't get released in the Uk and some do? Who decides what to release? I'm sure theres a huge market for far eastern cinema?

I really enjoyed Ip Man. Didn't watch any of the sequels so can't comment on them yet.

There's Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. While the Netflix sequel isn't as strong as the first film, I really like the first one.

Also liked Hero starring Jet Li and as Mr. Machine stated above, House Of Flying Daggers is simply a beautiful film.

You know, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Hero, and House Of Flying Daggers all star Zhang Ziyi. I think maybe I'm biased and simply have a crush on her or something.

Now I could watch this girl dance for two hours and I would consider it a masterpiece in filmmaking:

Can anyone recommend me some good foreign films that are worth watching ideally from the far east ie Japan, China, Thailand, Korea etc

Some great films i have seen are :-

The Raid 1 and 2
Ong Bak 1, 2 and 3
All of the Police story series
The Piper
Like Father, Like Son
Death Tube

BATTLE ROYALE for fucks sake. How the fuck has nobody mentioned Battle fucking Royale? Pisses on The Hunger Games from a great height.

giphy.gif

I really enjoyed Ip Man. Didn't watch any of the sequels so can't comment on them yet.

There's Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. While the Netflix sequel isn't as strong as the first film, I really like the first one.

Also liked Hero starring Jet Li and as Mr. Machine stated above, House Of Flying Daggers is simply a beautiful film.

You know, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Hero, and House Of Flying Daggers all star Zhang Ziyi. I think maybe I'm biased and simply have a crush on her or something.

Now I could watch this girl dance for two hours and I would consider it a masterpiece in filmmaking:

i agree she is a beauty

- - - Updated - - -

BATTLE ROYALE for fucks sake. How the fuck has nobody mentioned Battle fucking Royale? Pisses on The Hunger Games from a great height.

giphy.gif

Love that film, seen number 2 but 1 is far better

Little Red Wagon Repairman

Step in my shop and I'll fix yours too.
If you are a fan of 1970's Crime Films I highly recommend Kinji Fukasaku's Battles Without Honor And Humanity 5 film series from Arrow Video and also Graveyard Of Honor which is only available on DVD. Bunta Sugawara is totally bad-ass.

You also need to see a bunch of Takashi Miike films especially Audition, Ichi [NOBABE]The Killer,[/NOBABE] 13 Assassins, Gozu, Dead Or Alive, Fudoh: The New Generation, One Missed Call, and if you are the mood for something really bizarre check out Visitor Q.

Oldboy (the original, not the crappy hollywood remake)

Forgot about "Battle Royale." They made a second one?! I'll have to see if I can get a copy. But, yeah; fuck yeah - that was a great flick. I saw it while killing time in Australia, in the theaters. Good call on my part!

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll check out "Space Battleship Yamato;" it looks like it based on the old "Starblazers" anime from the 1980s. And, also "The Wailing," and "Zero Woman Red Handcuffs."

Oldboy (the original, not the crappy hollywood remake)

That film(the original) is one of my go-tos to show people who haven't seen too many films. I try to imagine the remake doesn't exist. Old boy is part of Chan-wook Park's Vengeance Trilogy along with Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and Lady Vengeance.

Another Chan-wook Park film worth seeing is J.S.A. - Joint Security Area.
In the DMZ separating the Koreas, peace is as fragile as the wooden bridge linking North and South. When two North Korean soldiers are killed, supposedly by one South Korean soldier, it threatens to ignite a full-scale conflict. An impartial Swiss intelligence team is sent to investigate