• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Film "First Man" omits iconic Neil Armstrong planting American flag on the moon

“First Man,” the Neil Armstrong biopic that tells the tale of the 1969 moon landing, has stolen the show at several international film festivals — but not everyone is happy.

The film fails to show one of the most integral moments of American history – when Armstrong plants the American flag on the moon, according to The Telegraph. Ryan Gosling, the Canadian actor who portrays Armstrong in the movie, defended the decision to not show the flag.

Gosling was asked at the Venice Film Festival whether omitting the scene was deliberate and the actor attempted to sidestep the question by responding that the moon landing “transcended countries and borders.”

“I think this was widely regarded in the end as a human achievement [and] that's how we chose to view it,” he told reporters. "I also think Neil was extremely humble, as were many of these astronauts, and time and time again he deferred the focus from himself to the 400,000 people who made the mission possible.”

Gosling said he didn’t think Armstrong “viewed himself as an American hero.”

“From my interviews with his family and people that knew him, it was quite the opposite. And we wanted the film to reflect Neil."

Gosling jokingly admitted he might have “cognitive bias” being that he’s Canadian.

Before his passing in 2012, Armstrong said that it wasn’t up to him whether the American flag or a United Nations flag should’ve been planted, The Telegraph noted.

“In the end it was decided by Congress that this was a United States project. We were not going to make any territorial claim, but we were to let people know that we were here and put up a U.S. flag,” he said.

“First Man” is set to hit theaters on Oct. 12.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...ding-scene-ryan-gosling-defends-decision.html

the makers of this film and the anti-American hollywood left can suck my American dick. fuck them. Way to alienate a significant portion of your prospective box office. All for the sake of political correctness.

the makers of this film and the anti-American hollywood left can suck my American dick. fuck them.

Agreed.

I couldn’t have said it better myself.

Imagine Hollywood doing a movie of the Battle of Iwo Jima and not including the Marines raising the American flag on Mt. Suribachi because it "transcended an American victory: it was a victory for the free world."

Imagine Hollywood doing a movie of the Battle of Iwo Jima and not including the Marines raising the American flag on Mt. Suribachi because it "transcended an American victory: it was a victory for the free world."
I liked the part where he said “ One small step for an American, one giant leap for the American people”.

Look at all of these NASA employees celebrating the landing as a global achievement

And I'm sure the Soviets were celebrating right along with us.

“ I believe the global community should commit itself,of achieving the goal before this decade is out, of landing a person of gender on the moon and returning them safely to the earth.”

John Fitzgerald Kennedy

*wipes away tears*

#WeAreTheWorld

And the title of the film is called "First Man." That's incredibly sexist, assumes Neil Armstrong's gender, not to mention perpetuates the patriarchy.

Gee... interesting that you bring that up. Isn't that the one where the Commander ordered a do over for a photographer with different marines and a bigger flag? Then glorified those Marines ignoring the first ones who had done it under fire, until the press got wind of the restaging?

Gee... interesting that you bring that up. Isn't that the one where the Commander ordered a do over for a photographer with different marines and a bigger flag? Then glorified those Marines ignoring the first ones who had done it under fire, until the press got wind of the restaging?

Yes, and? That there were two flag raisings is common knowledge and doesn't change the fact that if a Hollywood studio didn't include that part of the story in a movie about the Battle of Iwo Jima, it would've been a glaring and ridiculous omission.

Gosling was asked at the Venice Film Festival whether omitting the scene was deliberate and the actor attempted to sidestep the question by responding that the moon landing “transcended countries and borders.”

“I think this was widely regarded in the end as a human achievement [and] that's how we chose to view it,” he told reporters. "I also think Neil was extremely humble, as were many of these astronauts, and time and time again he deferred the focus from himself to the 400,000 people who made the mission possible.”

That's one small step for [a] man, one giant leap for Mankind
Armstrong's statement clearly makes it about Humanity, not America.

Armstrong was very clear abot that before the mission : I think we're going to the moon because it's in the nature of the human being to face challenges. ; Apollo mission press conference (1969)
And, 30 years later, he still was : A century hence, 2000 may be viewed as quite a primitive period in human history. It’s something to hope for ; "The Engineered Century" remarks delivered during National Engineers Week on behalf of the National Academy of Engineering at the National Press Club (22 February 2000)

The flag was planted because of the Cold War, as a way to claim victory for America against USSR. But, to Astronoautslike Neil Armstrong, it wasn't about America, or the Cold War. To him, it was just about pushing the limits of Mankind, as proven by the fact that Armstrong and Aldrin left medal commerating Russian cosmonauts Yuri Gagarin and Vladimir Komarov (first man who had died during a space mission) on the Moon's surface.

That's one small step for [a] man, one giant leap for Mankind
Armstrong's statement clearly makes it about Humanity, not America.

Armstrong was very clear abot that before the mission : I think we're going to the moon because it's in the nature of the human being to face challenges. ; Apollo mission press conference (1969)
And, 30 years later, he still was : A century hence, 2000 may be viewed as quite a primitive period in human history. It’s something to hope for ; "The Engineered Century" remarks delivered during National Engineers Week on behalf of the National Academy of Engineering at the National Press Club (22 February 2000)

The flag was planted because of the Cold War, as a way to claim victory for America against USSR. But, to Astronoautslike Neil Armstrong, it wasn't about America, or the Cold War. To him, it was just about pushing the limits of Mankind, as proven by the fact that Armstrong and Aldrin left medal commerating Russian cosmonauts Yuri Gagarin and Vladimir Komarov (first man who had died during a space mission) on the Moon's surface.

Did France authorize Georges Pompidou to send a check to cover their share of expenses? Mankind benefited from an American achievement. Now STFU.

Did France authorize Georges Pompidou to send a check to cover their share of expenses? Mankind benefited from an American achievement. Now STFU.

The Moon landing was the culmination of all the progress made by Mankind since wheel, America just made that "one small step" further, that's what Armstrong's statement meant. But if you want to argue with Neil Armstrong about what the Moon landing was really about, have at it, hoss, make a fool of yourself, it's not as if you had some credibility to maintain...

The Moon landing was the culmination of all the progress made by Mankind since wheel, America just made that "one small step" further, that's what Armstrong's statement meant. But if you want to argue with Neil Armstrong about what the Moon landing was really about, have at it, hoss, make a fool of yourself, it's not as if you had some credibility to maintain...

The "one small step" was literally the one small step he was about to take which represented a giant leap for mankind. Putting a man on the moon was certainly not "one small step" for the United States.

And why does it have to be one or the other? Why can't it be a great accomplishment for mankind yet acknowledge it was done under the leadership, the freedom, the ingenuity, the economic might of the United States? Sure, we stood on the shoulders of those who came before as all progress does but again, this was no small feat.

When you leave out the most iconic image of that moon landing other than Armstrong setting first foot, then you're trying too hard to make your point.

I]We’ve read a number of comments about the film today and specifically about the absence of the flag planting scene, made largely by people who haven’t seen the movie. As we’ve seen it multiple times, we thought maybe we should weigh in.

This is a film that focuses on what you don’t know about Neil Armstrong. It’s a film that focuses on things you didn’t see or may not remember about Neil’s journey to the moon. The filmmakers spent years doing extensive research to get at the man behind the myth, to get at the story behind the story. It’s a movie that gives you unique insight into the Armstrong family and fallen American Heroes like Elliot See and Ed White. It’s a very personal movie about our dad’s journey, seen through his eyes.

This story is human and it is universal. Of course, it celebrates an America achievement. It also celebrates an achievement “for all mankind,” as it says on the plaque Neil and Buzz left on the moon. It is a story about an ordinary man who makes profound sacrifices and suffers through intense loss in order to achieve the impossible.

Although Neil didn’t see himself that way, he was an American hero. He was also an engineer and a pilot, a father and a friend, a man who suffered privately through great tragedies with incredible grace. This is why, though there are numerous shots of the American flag on the moon, the filmmakers chose to focus on Neil looking back at the earth, his walk to Little West Crater, his unique, personal experience of completing this journey, a journey that has seen so many incredible highs and devastating lows.

In short, we do not feel this movie is anti-American in the slightest. Quite the opposite. But don’t take our word for it. We’d encourage everyone to go see this remarkable film and see for themselves.
Rick and Mark Armstrong (Neil's sons)
https://ijr.com/2018/09/1120451-neil-armstrong-sons-moon-landing-movie/

OMG! They didn't put the U.S flag on the moon! How will we continue live? This is the apocalypse LMFAO

Don't even bother dude. Some of these conservatives crack me up sometimes. They can't stop telling you how America is the greatest country in the world. Yet they get their panties in a bunch at even the slightest criticism or slight towards America. Insecure much? I think America is pretty fucking great. In fact I think it's so great that it doesn't need my dumbass to defend it.

OMG! They didn't put the U.S flag on the moon! How will we continue live? This is the apocalypse LMFAO

Don't even bother dude. Some of these conservatives crack me up sometimes. They can't stop telling you how America is the greatest country in the world. Yet they get their panties in a bunch at even the slightest criticism or slight towards America. Insecure much? I think America is pretty fucking great. In fact I think it's so great that it doesn't need my dumbass to defend it.

From the same clowns that think every ethnic group, gender fluid subset of humanity must be identified according to a mindfuck of politically correct terminology or they have been disrespected. Your act is getting old.