• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Favorite Tom Hanks Movie

Which is your favorite?

• Forrest Gump

Votes: 48 39.3%
  • Saving Private Ryan

Votes: 41 33.6%
  • Apollo 13

Votes: 13 10.7%
  • Philadelphia

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • The Green Mile

Votes: 16 13.1%
  • The Burbs

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • The Da Vinci Code

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Castaway

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • Road To Perdition

Votes: 14 11.5%
  • "Other"

Votes: 21 17.2%

• Total voters
I just watched Saving Private Ryan for about the 4th time and have pretty much decided its my favorite Hanks movie. I like most of Tom's movies and when I ask my friends which is their fav I usually get a different answer. Wish I could put more than 10 picks in the poll because he has alot of popular movies. I'll make this a multiple answer poll for those of you who can't decide.

kristoflaw10

Closed Account
Many great films to select but I'll go with the funny Turner & Hooch, which is not on the list. That dog was a dog's dog.

The only ones that I have seen from this list are Forrest Gump, Saving Private Ryan, Apollo 13, Philadelphia and Castaway. I liked/loved all of them and like most people thought he performed extraordinarily in each of them. I love Forrest Gump and Saving Private Ryan, mainly because I am HUGE on history. But what sets Forrest Gump on another level is Hanks' unbelievable performance. It was a movie with such an interesting plot yet Hanks still dominated on the screen. On the other hand in Saving Private Ryan, Hanks was still great but the plot of the movie seemed to attract my attention more.

Just my :2 cents:

I was just going to type that. Especially when you consider it had Tawny Kitaen and Monique Gabrielle.

And Adrian Zmed, and the "American Ninja", Michael Dudikov (sp?), and it had the guy who played "Kent" in "Real Genius"- great comical bad guy!

Just an absolutely fun flick- no thinking required.

"What are you nuts? Look at my tits?"-- :rofl:

had to say saving private ryan, just because it's one of the best WW2 films ever, in second Green Mile, that film got me close to a tear, no film has ever done that before.

maildude

Postal Paranoiac
I wanted to think of this objectively. I didn't want to pick my favorite movie of the bunch, but the one I thought he stood out in. That's why I chose Road To Perdition. Hanks was way out of character in that one and fun to watch. Great film.

What about "The Man With One Red Shoe" or "Bachelor Party", "Joe Versus the Volcano" (just being sarcastic) :D

Patrick_S

persona non grata
Road To Perdition

I'm not a fan of "Shaving Ryan's Privates".

1. The family on which the film was based on was a family I knew from my home town.
2. The film in general had waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many GROSS inaccuracies. This wasn't "poetic license". This was just plain, flat out factual, ridiculous innacuracies.
3. I don't entirely agree with the ultimate message of the movie ("You've earned this". If you want to debate this, please start a new thread).
4. Last but not least - while I'm semi-glad that the film wasn't yet another cleansed and sanctified version of war a la Zanuck's "Longest Day" (et al) --- I'm still disappointed that the movie portrayed the enemy as mostly sadistic criminals bent on fanatical resistance with no sense of military character whatsoever*. Not to forget that our 'band of heroes' lived up to every stereotype known to Hollywood.

I liked - and still prefer - "The Thin Red Line" as a more representative "American World War II" movie. The Europeans of course, still out class us when it comes to WWII movies (Stalingrad and Das Boot come instantly to mind). "Flags of our Fathers" and "Letters from Iwo Jima" are the other ones that I like (but then again, they're from Eastwood).

Now, if only some director could FAITHFULLY turn Eugene Sledge's "With the Old Breed" or "Goodbye Darkness" by William Manchester into movies....
... but I doubt that would ever happen. Hell, most people don't even remember the shock and horror the country was exposed to when correspondents reported the first day's progress on Betio....

BUT, I digress.

ANYway, from the list provided, my choices would be:
1. Road to Perdition (simply because it had the incomparable Paul Newman as well)
2. Philadelphia
3. Apollo 12

cheers,

PS: When my kids were growing up, visiting fairs was a good part of their childhood. Many times, we'd come upon a "Zoltar" type exhibit. Hanks' movie "Big" had an impact upon my son as he was growing up. Just thought that I'd share....

* The enemy were not ALL "Seig Heil! I hate all Jews! Seig Heil! I hate Communism! Seig Heil! I hate America! Seig Heil!" type dumb morons. I'm not saying I have any sympathy or empathy or any kind of emotion for the NSDAP or that criminal, gangster regime that ruled Germany (save for utter disgust and nauseating revulsion)... I'm just saying the the 'enemy' (including the Japs) my Father and his cousins fought against were not the simplistic buffoons as portrayed in movies. That is all.

Never been a huge Tom Hanks fan, I find most of his performances extremely annoying.

But I did like Road to Perdition :hatsoff: