• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Fads: What was a clothing fad when you were in high school?

When I was a in high school, it was all the rage to wear jeans with hiking boots, a long-sleeved undershirt, and a flannel shirt with the sleeves rolled up.

What was the clothing fad when you were in high school?

* Shit, wrong forum. Mods, how about a little help here and place this in the FreeOnes Talk Forum. Thanks!

Jagger69

Three lullabies in an ancient tongue
Bell-bottom jeans, flannel shirts as you describe, army jackets, waffle-stomper boots, cat-hats and aviator-style sunglasses.

I remember the girls wearing jeans that had no rear pockets. Personally I wish that had stayed in style! However yoga pants is even better :D

Hang Ten shirts and Portsider shoes. They were the first Van's

Parachute pants

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
None. ;) ... We had a streaker at my high school graduation ceremony (1981)

Seriously, the guys wore T-shirs with a pocket, flannel shirts, Levis or Lee jeans, with workshoes, boots or sneakers.

The girls mainly wore Jordache or Gloria Vanderbilt jeans. And sometimes they wore mini dresses and blouses. They also wore long sweaters with leggings and either ankle or knee length boots.

Little Red Wagon Repairman

Step in my shop and I'll fix yours too.
Went to Catholic High School with a dress code. I was a stoner and a football player. Usually wore a flannel w/jeans with some sort of Heavy Metal shirt preferably with some sort of Satanic design underneath. By 5th period after lunch we got sloppy and looked like we were recruiting for a Black Mass. Symbols everywhere.

xfire

New Twitter/X @cxffreeman
I stay away from fads and sometimes still wear the same sort of shit I wore in high school, Levi's 501's, band t-shirts, and plain brown or black Vans. I remember "Hammer Pants", those were fucking ridiculous.

Elwood70

Torn & Frayed.
Like a few others have mentioned in this thread, I still wear pretty much the same things I did in high school. (501s, band t-shirts and flannel-before it was "cool" and either cowboy boots or Chuck Taylors). High school was when I also grew my hair out for the first time, and I still have it.

bahodeme

Closed Account
Besides what others mentioned that are my age, camo t-shirts and pants. One of the worse things were terry cloth t-shirts. Imagine taking a bath towel and sewing into a shirt :facepalm:. Yes I had one that even had nylon mesh along the shoulders. As are as shoes, we were in between the Chuck Taylor & Addias era.

Elwood70

Torn & Frayed.
As are as shoes, we were in between the Chuck Taylor & Addias era.
When I got my first big tax-refund, the first thing I bought was a pair of Air Jordans....

I'm amused that there's only a couple people in this thread that have their settings configured to show their age.

Parachute pants, hypercolour t-shirts, reebok pumps, adidas tracksuit pants, air jordans. The haircut of choice was the under-cut ala Mike Patton. I was then and still am a jeans guy and never could afford Reebok pumps or Air Jordans. I might have had one hypercolour t-shirt back in the day but I can't remember for sure. I did have the under-cut hairdo though :facepalm:

We call them "bum bags" and America calls them "fanny packs." Which is hysterical because over here "fanny" means a girl's mimsy/hoo-ha/ladygarden. Either way, we all looked like remedial cases wearing them. Most of the kids at our school missed the point that you sling the bag around to your bum/fanny, and proudly strutted around with the bag of belongings/loose change flapping around in front like some kind of brightly-coloured kangaroo's pouch.

The 90s!... we were all fucking clueless.

We had different cliques in HS. The preppies wore boat shoes and polo shirts. The jocks always wore their varsity jackets/jerseys and jeans. The burnouts always wore their black suede shoes, blue jeans, and some type of rock shirt... I was into House music and hip hop so I basically wore jeans and some type of shirt I bought from Chessking or a track suit like Adidas or Nike. I never followed fads and remember watching dumb asses wearing parachute pants, anything in Neon and Michael Jackson jackets... :facepalm:

Generation X Rules!!!

For one year kids would wear their pajamas to school at my high school. You read that correctly. Guys and girls wore their PJs to school. I don't know if other kids in the district did it or even if other kids across America did it but I was a horrendous fucking fad because they weren't even trying to something different or new.