• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

EA sports locks out Online play for used game purchases

Starting with the release of Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11 on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, the publisher will introduce a new Online Pass, a one-time registration code included with each brand new copy of the game. The code allows players to access "online services, features and bonus content."

Those who purchase the game used can buy an Online Pass for $10 or sign up for a free 7-day trial. The pass will be implemented for NCAA Football 11, NHL 11, Madden NFL 11, NBA 11, FIFA 11, and EA Sports MMA as well. The pass offers different features for each title, however, players will not have access to basic multiplayer features if purchased used.

Wow, this is Ultra Lame-O if you ask me. So what happens if I play my NHL11 on my second ps3 ID, like I always do, and want to start playing on my main ps3 ID for a clean slate??? It won't let me cause I used the code already, so I gotta go buy a new one for $10????? Lame-O!!!!!!! This is worse then the subscription they're gonna charge for the newer call of duty games multiplayer!

thats bullshit if they do this for all games they damn well better make xbox live free.

I don't think this will last at all. The Call of Duty pay for play is all rumor no substance at this point, and while EA has strongly hinted that this is will happen, I think the potential loss in sales may be enough to deter them.

PlasmaTwa2

The Second-Hottest Man in my Mother's Basement
I don't think this will last at all. The Call of Duty pay for play is all rumor no substance at this point, and while EA has strongly hinted that this is will happen, I think the potential loss in sales may be enough to deter them.

Why would there be a loss of sales? This won't effect the people who buy Madden every year. This is only going to hurt the people who buy it a year later for four dollars, in which case spending ten bucks to unlock online would still be cheaper than buying the game new.

Why would there be a loss of sales? This won't effect the people who buy Madden every year. This is only going to hurt the people who buy it a year later for four dollars, in which case spending ten bucks to unlock online would still be cheaper than buying the game new.

I mean in the online realm. It's a freedom issue. Educated gamers don't want to be locked down. It may not effect the Madden die-hards, but that's their only title that has that level of dedication. Ubisoft, and Infinity Ward have nearly destroyed their market base for PC because of DRM restrictions. It's certainly a different issue, however somewhere in the neighborhood of 40% of the people who play EA sports games buy them used, (according to SquareTrade). I'm willing to bet serious money that number gets slashed, as does the online participation of EA. Using X-Box Live as a guideline, EA typically charges 240 points ($3.00) for almost everything in game: uniforms, equipment etc... and about 640 ($8.00) for bigger content, (stadiums etc). Used game buyers are statistically more likely to pay for things online, thus there's a pretty big chunk of change that stands to be lost.

Aren't we talking about EA? If so, why does everybody act surprised?

EA may be big, but aside from sports games, they've ruined everything they've ever bought and/or created. It was only a matter of time before they'd start messing with their sports game customers as well and apparently that time has come.

There is going to be a subscription fee for new CoD games???? WTF?!?!?!?! If that's true, they just lost a customer.

The EA thing doesn't really bother me, since I buy those brand new anyway.

I hope it doesn't last, but if you look at it, its not a subtle feature or something like that. Its kind of a bigger deal. What I mean is, they're gonna go through the trouble of making these code cards, dev'ing the game so it requires it and making sure the optional $10 cards are in stock everywhere.

That sounds like an awful lot of trouble and work just to see if this pays off or not. I think no matter what this will be here forever....sad.

I dont deal in used games, so this wont really affect me. I like the idea actually, why should someone who buys the game used and at 75% get access to the same features people who spent the money at full price have.

Logistically it seems difficult, look at the used game trade in Britain alone, its massive.

L3ggy

Special Operations FOX-HOUND
Why am I not surprised?

Then again, this is EA your talking about. Doing the right thing or even something that makes logical sense doesn't often apply to them.

I dont deal in used games, so this wont really affect me. I like the idea actually, why should someone who buys the game used and at 75% get access to the same features people who spent the money at full price have.

Isn't that like saying somebody that buys a used book at a significantly lower price than what it was listed at new should expect half the pages ripped out of it because they shouldn't expect access to the same features the person that originally bought it got?

Isn't that like saying somebody that buys a used book at a significantly lower price than what it was listed at new should expect half the pages ripped out of it because they shouldn't expect access to the same features the person that originally bought it got?

I think a person that buys a used book should expect all the pages, enjoy the story and all around have a good time reading it.

But, they shouldn't then be allowed to complain of the urine soaked pages, tattered corners, musty odour and game of tic-tat-toe scribbled on the cover!

In all honesty if you really look at it, there isn't anything wrong with what they're doing unless you rent games.

If you buy new at say $60 then you're fine. If you buy used at say $20 with the $10 online access then you'll still be paying a low price than someone who bought new so what's the complaint.

If you rent games from say Blockbuster then you get 7 days of a free trial and you only have so many days to bring it back to the store anyway. If you rent from Game Fly, well then, you're up the creek without a paddle. Actually I've never used Game Fly but I think you pay a low price anyway so all you're really paying is the $10 extra. In that instance you're still paying less so really what is the complaint?

Legzman

what the fuck you lookin at?
This has to be the biggest load of bullshit I've heard in awhile. I hardly ever buy games in the first fuckin place. I'm not about to pay $10 to play a fuckin game online that I rented...I rent games cause I lose interest after a week or less. And most times the online is shit anyway!

Oh well, guess I won't be playing shit online! So a fond fuck off to all who have me on their friends list I guess...

They've been doing this shit with PC gaming for a few years now.Don't know why anyone would be surprised that it wouldn't trickle down into the console market.

Whether people want to believe it or not,this is the future of online console gaming,so everyone better start getting use to it.Everyone will bitch and moan for a while,but slowly and surely,the masses will accept it.

This has to be the biggest load of bullshit I've heard in awhile. I hardly ever buy games in the first fuckin place. I'm not about to pay $10 to play a fuckin game online that I rented...I rent games cause I lose interest after a week or less. And most times the online is shit anyway!

Oh well, guess I won't be playing shit online! So a fond fuck off to all who have me on their friends list I guess...

EA is just retarded with new concepts, I don't imagine this will effect all publishers. If the public response is as mad as it seems when this starts to become a reality it will probably go away in time.