• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Dusty Rhodes, wrestling legend, passes away at 69

On Thursday, WWE confirmed that legendary wrestler Dusty Rhodes had passed away at the age of 69. The company gave no details about the nature of his death. Rhodes, real name Virgil Runnels, appeared on WWE programming as recently as April and worked with young talent in the company's developmental system in Florida.

"The American Dream" and "son of a plumber" started his wrestling career in the early 1970s and worked in every major nationally televised promotion in the United States -- WWE, WCW, ECW and TNA. He was a three-time NWA World Heavyweight Champion and is best known for his classic matches in NWA promotions against the likes of Ric Flair and Harley Race. He was voted Pro Wrestling Illustrated's most popular wrestler of the year three times and won their match of the year twice.

Runnels worked as a part-time wrestler while booking promotions until the mid-90s, when he mostly retired from in-ring action to be a manager and commentator. He has worked backstage for WWE since 2005 and was elected to the WWE Hall of Fame in 2007.

He's survived by his wife Michelle, his two sons Dustin Runnels, best known as Goldust, and Cody Runnels, known as Cody Rhodes and Stardust in WWE, and his daughters Teil and Kristen.

Fuck!

Little Red Wagon Repairman

Step in my shop and I'll fix yours too.
I never liked babyfaces but there was one exception. Dusty Rhodes. He rolled himself out as a regular fella with regular problems regular Americans could relate to. He was a master communicator. I'd watch the 2 hour WTBS show and watch the crowd lean on his every word eating out of the palm of his hand. Those Carolina, Virginia, Florida, and Georgia live crowds went nuts. I could watch a complete show of dueling promos between Flair and Rhodes and be thoroughly entertained. Rest in Peace, Bull Of The Woods. My condolences to Dustin, Cody, and the rest of the Rhodes family too.

CrimsonBolt

I AM A SLUT FOR RYAN GOSLING
shit we see him recently in the wwe, can't believe he's gone.
tough day for Godldust, Cody and the old wrestling fans.

R.I.P Mr. American Dream.

alexpnz

Lord Dipstick
Part of the GREATEST angle wrestling history....Dusty vs. Four Horseman.
Who could forget the famous jumping of Dusty in front of Jim Crockett Promotions.
Not a lot of people know that Dusty was the chief booker in the old NWA/Georgia Championship/Mid Atlantic and Florida areas.
I remember looking for the old Mid Atlantic and Florida area T.V. shows on my old VHF/UHF T.V. to try and see the shows and going to the stationary store to buy Pro Wrestling Illustrated and Inside Wrestling to keep up on these areas Dusty was in.
His Midnight Rider gimmick was ahead of its time too.
Flair must be devastated.

R.I.P Bull of the Woods!! :clap:

"Make it good!"

alexpnz

Lord Dipstick
Greatest Dusty promo EVER.........If you wheel!!
Cornette vs. Dusty

In 1987 I was helping set up rings for the NWA. I was 17 at the time and at one of the arenas he came in early and saw a Hank Williams, Jr. tape that I had just bought that day. He says "Who's Hank tape is this?" I said that it was mine and he asked to borrow it for back in the locker room. I looked right at him and said "Man, you got about 5 inches and about a hundred pounds on me. Do you think I'm going to tell you no?". He looked at me for a minute and then gave me a wink and said "You're alright kid".

RIP Dream.

Mr. Daystar

In a bell tower, watching you through cross hairs.
He certainly was a well respected legend, and he earned every bit of it. I wonder how high the turn buckles are in heaven? Rest in peace good sir.