• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Do we have an employMENT problem or an employABLE problem??? Three million open jobs in U.S.

Rey C.

Racing is life... anything else is just waiting.
Damn fine piece on 60 Minutes tonight! This doesn't apply to all of the unemployed souls out there and I'm not trying to make it seem like it does. We still have an employment problem. But another side to the issue is that too many people are largely unemployable. But for those who say, "there are NO jobs," I've been saying bullshit for quiet a awhile. Just like the guy on here (Boobfan?) who claimed to have a degree and all kinds of certificates in IT and for the next four years he wasn't going to be able to get hired... Bullshit!!! Some people just do NOT want to work (Boobfan). And some others (the ones in this piece) need skills (re)training to get one of the many jobs that are out there.

Jobs_Wide_620x350.jpg

Three million open jobs in U.S., but who's qualified?

The balance of power in Washington didn't change this week as President Obama and most members of Congress kept their jobs. They'll go back to work and face an unemployment problem that also hasn't changed very much. Every month since January 2009, more than 20 million Americans have been either out of work or underemployed. Yet despite that staggering number, there are more than three million job openings in the U.S. Just in manufacturing, there are as many as 500,000 jobs that aren't being filled because employers say they can't find qualified workers.

It's called "the skills gap." How could that be, we wondered, at a time like this with so many people out of work? No place is the question more pressing than in Nevada. The state with the highest unemployment rate in the country. A place where there are jobs waiting to be filled.

ApolloBalboa

Was King of the Board for a Day
I saw that segment as well, and I believe that it holds a kernel of truth. I know I'm certainly not qualified to do jobs like those shown (engineering, mechanics, robots, etc.) and I'm willing to bet that most people, while they may hold an interest in something like that, put off studying it further in college or universities due to school costs. It's both a certainty and a gamble at the same time, because while there may be plenty of jobs to be held in a certain field, you need to spend the time, effort, and money to (re)train yourself if you haven't yet got the necessary skills.

Rey C.

Racing is life... anything else is just waiting.
I understand what you're saying, Apollo. But you're 22, right? Let's say it would take you 3-4 years to complete a course and training in machine technology, which would give you the necessary skills to run and lightly program a CNC machine like the ones in that piece. In 3-4 years, you'd be 25-26 if you did it. But if you don't do it, you'll still be 25-26 in 3-4 years, right? The difference will be, you'd have a very marketable skill that would give you options that you wouldn't otherwise have.

Yes, it takes some time and a great deal of determination to re-train yourself if you're working a full time job already. I started my MBA while I was waiting for a non-compete agreement to expire, but I completed it after I started working for another bank. And having also taken classes in machine technology and CAD/CAM myself (while I was working rather long hours and a stressful job), I can tell you that the MBA was a hell of a lot harder on my head than taking those basic machine tech and CAD/CAM courses. But if we want options in life, we simply have to do what is necessary to make that happen. I didn't want to return to banking and this was what I felt I had to do to make myself more marketable in the manufacturing sector. In order to consult and give advice on how a manufacturing operation should be run or restructured, I knew that it was necessary for me to have some deeper understanding of the manufacturing processes within the companies that I wanted to work for. OK, so I didn't get a job with Cosworth or Ilmor. But one of the first projects I ever worked on was for a Ferrari supplier. So I was OK with that.

As for costs, there are scholarships and grants. Plus, you don't need a four year engineering degree to get one of these jobs. It wouldn't hurt you, but as the piece said, it is not necessary. A two year degree or certificate from a community or junior college, or an accredited vocational/trade school, is sufficient. What are we talking for that, maybe $10K-15K? So $10K-$15K in upfront costs to get a non-supervisory floor job where you can make $60K+/year vs. a vanishing, lower skilled job where you might make $35K/year? Sit on your ass and run a robot or CNC vs. lifting boxes all day long? Easy choice, yeah? :dunno: What employers really want is someone who will show up on time, every day, and be ready to hit the ground running. This is no bullshit... not a week goes by that I couldn't get a well trained, dependable person a job in a manufacturing facility somewhere in the south east. Either a job as an electrician/maintenance man (or woman), a CNC programmer/operator, a CAD/CAM programmer, a manufacturing or quality engineer, a supervisor... and most recently, even a plant manager. I don't hire and fire. But if I want you, HR will generally follow my suggestions. And if I really want you gone, I can also make you disappear with my magic wand too. But it is so, so hard to find well trained people who really are ready to go on Day 1. So many applicants can barely read & write these days and have math skills that are almost laughable. We won't even talk about them not seeing the importance of showing up for work on time every day.

I've given this speech to my young cousin for 4 or 5 years now. I even bought the silly little shit a laptop to encourage him to focus on math, science, robotics... anything technical! That's where the jobs are now and that's where they'll be going forward. But he doesn't pay any attention to me either. As far as I know, he's only used the computer to play video games and chit-chat on FecesBook and Tweeter. His little girlfriend has perky tits and long legs. So he pays more attention to whatever she tells him than anything I say. Then he'll ask me how much my XK8 cost! :facepalm:

Do it, Apollo. Do it! Partisan morons, like Fisher, are trying to spread the lie that there are no jobs in the U.S. and all the jobs are leaving because of Obama. The fiscal cliff is definitely having an affect on hiring right now. But there are jobs... for people who have the skills. I'm out there every day. This, if nothing else, I do know about! Time passes you by faster than you realize right now. Invest in yourself, Citizen Apollo! :thumbsup:

Bring back trade schools. More than half of today's college students do not belong at university, rather they should be in trade school.

Rattrap

Doesn't feed trolls and would appreciate it if you
Bring back trade schools. More than half of today's college students do not belong at university, rather they should be in trade school.
Among the bitter stream of charged posts I've found this morning from you, this one alone I agree with!

I think they especially need them in the UK. I ran into sooo many people studying subjects that to me seemed like they had no place has a university subject and then I'm sure many of them graduate and get their fancy job at Starbucks (I met one gal studying sports announcing. At a university).

bobjustbob

Proud member of FreeOnes Hall Of Fame. Retired to

You beat me to the punch too. If you know how to fix shit there will always me people knocking at your door.