• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Cubs Fans...

I thought Catching Hell was a good documentary, but I wish they had gotten an interview with Bartman, or at least someone who was close to him like one of his two friends that were at the game with him. It was really cool how they replayed the play, but edited out everyone in the stands except Bartman and Alou. I just thought it could have gone deeper into Bartman's life since that game.

feller469

Moving to a trailer in Fife, AL.
Alou was one of the whiniest players in the game. He would complain about everything. His reaction was typical. Jeter breaks his face going for a foul ball, Alou was waiting for the golden staircase to be delivered so he could climb the wall.

Jeter will be enshrined in the Hall of Fame. Alou will be remembered best because his family is a crossword puzzle answer.

I thought Catching Hell was a good documentary, but I wish they had gotten an interview with Bartman, or at least someone who was close to him like one of his two friends that were at the game with him. It was really cool how they replayed the play, but edited out everyone in the stands except Bartman and Alou. I just thought it could have gone deeper into Bartman's life since that game.

From what I've heard he has turned down several opportunities to make (well) paid appearances at several different venues.

Here's a 2009 story that talks about him turning down $25,000 for a single autograph. There seem to be a few other stories with similar offers and similar denials from Bartman.

I know the two scenarios would be different (signing a pic/ball vs. being interviewed on a documentary) but I think with all the animosity towards him, he would rather just try to stay as invisible as possible, which is not surprising, to me at least.

You obviously know absolutely nothing about baseball, or the Cubs or the Cubs fanbase, which for nigh on 25 years has been comprised primarily of so called 'yuppies.'

And if Bartman as you claim, 'just looked like a dick about it what does that make the shithole scum who threw everything and their children at him and have threatened his life ever since? You obviously approve of their behavior and wish that they had publicly hunted down and murdered Bartman.

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Agreed. So according to you Icewater Jones all baseball fans are only allowed to be overly muscled steroid freaks who get piss and shit their pants drunk and spend the entire game shrieking vile obscenities and racial epithets and getting into fights.

Right.

Certainly makes me want to go to a baseball game and sit in the stands.

You give retarded morons a bad name.

What Cubs fans forget is that 2 TWO other people also went after the ball.

Thing is, the sun came up the next day. The universe didn't end.

Yes, it is ridiculous. It is meant to sound that way. My take was from a face value POV, as I am a Wrigleyville native and a former employee of Wrigley. Anyone that is actually from the North Side knows what i mean... Cubs fans don't like the yuppie invasion of Wrigleyville. They never have. When the play happened, to see that schmuck with the headphones and turtleneck, burned Cubs fans. This is coming from someone close to the situation, and a born-in Cubs fan.

Yes others went after the ball, but who's the one that did that damage? Steve Bartman. Not those others, and if you ain't a Cubs fan, you don't understand the entirety of the situation. It's not just Bartman. It's the goat. It's the cat. It's you can't be the fuck up: on-field or off... and Bartman was. It was almost like it was scripted.

I'm just telling you what it was. I don't expect a lot of you to get it, but when you have fathers and grandfathers, sons and daughters live full lives waiting for a Cubs World Series in such a close knit North Side community, you are emotionally invested. The feeling is: Bartman had a hand in screwing over your family.

Is it off?
Is it crazy?
Is it ridiculous?

YES!!!

...but that is what it is. It is a very complex situation with a lot of deeply time set incidents that lead to it and after. I personally know that the Cubs fucked that up on-field. I know it was a collapse, but I'd be lying if I didn't say that there was a part of me that looked at Steve Bartman with some hatred. I also understand that my POV is different. I was born in Illinois Masonic, and raised off Waveland Ave. My first job was Wrigley Field stand attendant... The Chicago Cubs are a part of me.

...but I'd be lying if I didn't say that there was a part of me that looked at Steve Bartman with some hatred. I also understand that my POV is different. I was born in Illinois Masonic, and raised off Waveland Ave. My first job was Wrigley Field stand attendant... The Chicago Cubs are a part of me.

Interesting that you say this. I was listening to Rome earlier today and he was talking about it, and he posed a question to Cubs fans, so I'll ask it to you (can't remember it word for word, but makes the same point):

Would you spend multiple nights (3-10) in jail for the opportunity to give Bartman a single black eye?

Legzman

what the fuck you lookin at?
Shit happens get over it people. Fucking christ, who goes to a ball game and doesn't want to bring home a souvenir ball? If it wasn't him, it would have been some other poor schmuck to be paraded around in front of the entire country to blame their shitty team for not going to the world series. I'd like to see the cubs in the world series, I'd really like to seem them play the white sox in the world series for that matter. Holy fucking shit, that town would burn (for the second time) regardless of the outcome!!!

I'm sick of hearing about it. Face it, the cubs suck! At least all other teams have gone to the world series in the last century. :rolleyes:

Interesting that you say this. I was listening to Rome earlier today and he was talking about it, and he posed a question to Cubs fans, so I'll ask it to you (can't remember it word for word, but makes the same point):

Would you spend multiple nights (3-10) in jail for the opportunity to give Bartman a single black eye?

No, although I know some who would. Some folks don't have any sense to begin with, and I'm not one of those people. Would he have gotten cussed out be me? Probably, but not assaulted

Man, I watched "Catching Hell" last night. It was really well done. It made me feel so bad for Bartman who by all accounts is actually a decent guy. The fact that he didn't even attempt to cash in on his 15 minutes further illustrates to me the character of the guy. No one talks about that though or the fact that the guy who actually did get the ball was the one who cashed in big time on it while receiving next to none of the bullshit Bartman received. Seeing people throw beer on him and make numerous death threats over a fucking game really kinda pissed me off. It's not like he got a baseball bat and went up to home plate and scored 8 runs for the Marlins in a single inning. Here I was thinking that Philadelphia sports team fans were the creme de la creme of classless assholes. I'd like to thank Chicago Cubs fans for entering the race for that illustrious title.:rolleyes:

Man, I watched "Catching Hell" last night. It was really well done. It made me feel so bad for Bartman who by all accounts is actually a decent guy. The fact that he didn't even attempt to cash in on his 15 minutes further illustrates to me the character of the guy. No one talks about that though or the fact that the guy who actually did get the ball was the one who cashed in big time on it while receiving next to none of the bullshit Bartman received. Seeing people throw beer on him and make numerous death threats over a fucking game really kinda pissed me off. It's not like he got a baseball bat and went up to home plate and scored 8 runs for the Marlins in a single inning. Here I was thinking that Philadelphia sports team fans were the creme de la creme of classless assholes. I'd like to thank Chicago Cubs fans for entering the race for that illustrious title.:rolleyes:

Putting Cubs fans in with Philly fans is flat out bullshit. Philadelphia sports fans boo and jeer not only those who have done absolutely nothing to deserve it (Santa Claus), but they boo those who actually do good things for the city on and off field (Donovan McNabb). Cub fans had good reason to dislike Steve Bartman. You can argue the grudge holding after the fact, but no way does it compare to decades of Philadelphia fan bullshit.

Ace Bandage

The one and only.
Nobody I know would wish any malice on Bartman. That would be completely misplaced. What's always lost in this is that even if he gets out of the way, there's no guarantee that Moises was going to make the play. It's not like he was an above average fielder or anything. Who's to say he would have caught the ball?

Maybe my perspective is different. I didn't grow up in Chicago, but I've followed the Cubs since I was in elementary school.

I found it interesting on Catching Hell to learn that Bartman still worked in the city of Chicago. He guards his privacy very tightly and refuses all requests for interviews regardless of the compensation involved. And they brought up a good point: if you saw him on the street without the headphones, without the turtle neck, and without the hat, would you recognize him? In a way, his appearance that night has helped contribute to his anonymity. I wonder if he's been back to Wrigley since...

I hope so.

I'm sick of hearing about it. Face it, the cubs suck! At least all other teams have gone to the world series in the last century. :rolleyes:
The Cubs were in the 1945 World Series.

:hatsoff:

It was not so much blaming him for the losses, as I never blamed him for that. To me, I just didn't appreciate everything Steve Bartman was. Bartman was everything Cubs fans hate: A yuppie, wimpy looking, naive nerd who looked oblivious to the whole thing. He sat there with those walkman headphones on, and just looked liked a dick about it. With a team with a century of futility, and a crowd full of fans waiting for something or someone to completely fuck up ON THE FIELD, to have someone do it in the stands is almost unforgivable. Yes the Cubs lost that series on the field, but you just can't be the goat or the black cat in this situation.

You just can't.

Dude, you are pathetic disgrace for a human. Get a life, loser.

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
The Alex Gonzalez error was huge as was Kerry Woods, Mark Guthrie, Carlos Zambrano and Kyle Farnsworth's ability to get Marlin batters out.

On a similiar note, do you hear about Oriole fans complaining about Jeff Maier's interference of Tony Tarrasco's ability to catch Derek Jeter's so called homerun? And Rich Garcia blown call in Game 1 of the 1996 ALCS? You can say the whole Oriole team was in shock and that play alone was the "momentum killer" that affected the way the team played the rest of the way as they lost those games to the Yankees.

The answer is no.

To blame Steve Bartman is nonsense.

Legzman

what the fuck you lookin at?
The Cubs were in the 1945 World Series.

:hatsoff:

oh. Well, they still suck. I'd still like to see em win though. I'm not a sports fan period. But I'll always root for Chicago teams. Must be my northern Illinois upbringing.
That and my mom is a die hard cubs fan, so fuck it why not pull for the cubs? :dunno: