• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Crayfish, Crawfish, or Crawdad? American Dialect Survey (with MAPS!)

So, first, do you even know what these are? I think some "city slickers" probably don't...

Crayfish, Crawfish, or Crawdad - which do you say?

What about your pronunciation of "aunt" ???

The answer can often be known in advance depending on where you grew up or have lived for a long time.

A lot of fascinating stuff here, especially if you scroll down and get into the questions about "What do you call....???":

http://www4.uwm.edu/FLL/linguistics/dialect/maps.html

But if you're just impatient and want to see the crayfish vs. crawfish vs. crawdad survey results, go here:

http://www4.uwm.edu/FLL/linguistics/dialect/staticmaps/q_66.html

Enjoy.

BTW, the correct answer is craYfish. :glugglug:

Philbert

Banned
So, first, do you even know what these are? I think some "city slickers" probably don't...

Crayfish, Crawfish, or Crawdad - which do you say?

What about your pronunciation of "aunt" ???

The answer can often be known in advance depending on where you grew up or have lived for a long time.

A lot of fascinating stuff here, especially if you scroll down and get into the questions about "What do you call....???":

http://www4.uwm.edu/FLL/linguistics/dialect/maps.html

But if you're just impatient and want to see the crayfish vs. crawfish vs. crawdad survey results, go here:

http://www4.uwm.edu/FLL/linguistics/dialect/staticmaps/q_66.html

Enjoy.

BTW, the correct answer is craYfish. :glugglug:

No, the correct pronunciation is "mudbug".

ChefChiTown

The secret ingredient? MY BALLS
In Cleveland, most people called them "crayfish". But, when I moved out here to Chicago and went to culinary school, you could tell that people from different parts of the country would call them different things.

Most of the chefs out here call them crawfish, which still catches me off-guard sometimes.

In Cleveland, most people called them "crayfish". But, when I moved out here to Chicago and went to culinary school, you could tell that people from different parts of the country would call them different things.

Most of the chefs out here call them crawfish, which still catches me off-guard sometimes.

Do cray/crawfish even get USED much in fine cuisine? My guess is it would take a hell of a lot of 'em just to get a few ounces of meat. And I thought the work-reward ratio for crabs was questionable.

ChefChiTown

The secret ingredient? MY BALLS
Do cray/crawfish even get USED much in fine cuisine? My guess is it would take a hell of a lot of 'em just to get a few ounces of meat. And I thought the work-reward ratio for crabs was questionable.

You'd be surprised. It's not a really common thing to find in fine dining, but it's not uncommon either.

You're right though...it's all about the prep work that is involved and if a restaurant (and it's chef) feels as if the work is really worth such a small portion of meat.

I've never worked at a place that served them, but I've eaten at a lot of places that do.

Philbert

Banned
You got nothing except little boy flaming to put up, huh?
Lame is your middle name, it seems...I must really be getting to you.
The truth will always find its way, and all the untruth you spew is becoming more and more obvious.
Let's rock...:thefinger

Where I'm at all three are used, often interchangeably by the same people. :dunno:

I would probably call them crayfish more often than not though.

Philbert

Banned
crawdad - and there good

Since close to a hundred years or more the term "crawdad" was used all through the South that would seem to put a stink of legitimacy on the term...
N'Orlins uses the term "mudbug" almost exclusivly, as do most Texans (real ones), Mississipians, Alabamans, etc...there seems to be a difference in whether one eats them or describes them.
I have personally put a hurtin' on the existing stock of mudbugs...don't suck the heads, though.:D

Jagger69

Three lullabies in an ancient tongue
Way down yonder in the Bayou country over in dear ol' Loozianne, they call 'em crawfish. Since that's where most of 'em come from and are eaten, that's the official name as far as I am concerned. The rest of y'all are either feriners or yankees and don't know what yer talkin' about.

Philbert

Banned
I been catching and eating Mudbugs since I was 6...the common term in Texas is crawdad, and the folks call'em Mudbugs in Loosiana...'course Yankees and outa state types call'em crawfish, but we know who they are.
Here's a typical recipe for berl'n the critters...
Directions:
1. If you have not already done so, drink a cold beer.
2. After your beer, you would normally purge the crawfish. This is not necessary since our crawfish come pre-purged. Just rinse out the crawfish with fresh water and boil. If you want, use the time you saved by not purging the crawfish to have another beer.
3. Drink another beer. Give one to a friend.
4. Fill the large pot half full with fresh water, place on outdoor propane cooker, and start the fire. Place the lid on the pot and bring water to a boil.
5. Add about 1/3 lb of Fruge's Original Seafood Boil to water. Let the boiling water mix it well for a minute or so.
6. Time to drink another beer. Send sober friend to store for more beer.
7. Drop in the onions (halved), the potatoes and fresh garlic. Let this cook, keeping an eye on the potatoes. (Check for doneness by stabbing with a sharp knife or fork. If it goes in easy, it is cooked. Hint; Do not over cook potatoes, slightly under cook them because they will continue to steam and cook in ice chest. You don't want to end up with mashed potatoes.) When the potatoes are almost done, add the corn and mushrooms. After they have cooked, lower the fire on the burner and remove the basket. Place the vegetables in a small clean ice chest - don't close the lid - just place foil on top. Time to drink another beer.
8. Turn the heat up on the burner. Add more spice to the water. (About 1/2 lbs., save rest of spice for later.) Take the lemons (halved) and squeeze the juice in the water. Then add the lemons to the water. When the water comes to a boil place the crawfish into the basket and put the basket in the pot. (Be careful - it's very hot!) Put the lid on the pot and enjoy another beer.
9. When the water comes back to a boil - keep a very close eye on this part - let it boil for 4 minutes and turn off the fire. Let it soak for another 3 minutes and then remove. Kill the boil by adding cold water or ice, not much is needed maybe a gallon or so. Then let the crawfish soak. They will sink to the bottom and fill with spicy water (JUICES).
10. Get an old table and place old newspapers on top. Dump the basket of crawfish on top of the newspaper and sprinkle with leftover spice.
11. Dump the onions, potatoes, corn and garlic on top of the crawfish. Now it's time to really drink beer and eat. The vegetables are for those guests who cannot figure out how to peel the crawfish. At least they won't starve.

(the text has been translated so as to not exclude the Northerners from enjoyin' eatin' berl'd mudbugs.

Will E Worm

Conspiracy...

north midland (11)
created as the people in pennsylvania migrated westward and influenced by scotch-irish, german, and english quaker settlers. This and the south midland dialect can actually be considered a separate midland dialect region that serves as a transition zone between the north and south. They call doughnuts belly sinkers, doorknobs, dunkers, and fatcakes.

:yinyang::D