• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Comcast to buy Time Warner Cable. Internet Monopoly?

Comcast to buy Time Warner Cable: Say goodbye to the public interest

The Comcast-Time Warner deal manifestly would be disastrous for the competitive landscape Wheeler says is his paramount goal. The principles he articulated dictate that he and his fellow FCC commissioners must block it. Will he stick to his guns?

How is this combined with the death if Net Neutrality, likely to affect American internet users?

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-mh-comcast-20140212,0,4158731.story#ixzz2tBfQI2O4

http://www.boston.com/business/tech...for-billion/PWnQJ2Z7149SdSAA2yRfYO/story.html

Comcast Corp. has agreed to buy Time Warner Cable Inc. for $45.2 billion in stock, or $158.82 per share, two people familiar with the matter said late Wednesday.

The deal will combine the nation’s top two cable TV companies and make Comcast, which also owns NBCUniversal, a dominant force in both creating and delivering entertainment to U.S. homes.

The deal was approved by the boards of both companies and, pending regulatory approval, is expected to close by the end of the year, the people said.

The people spoke on condition of anonymity because the deal had not been announced formally. An announcement is set for Thursday morning, they said.

The price is about 17 percent above Time Warner Cable shares’ Wednesday closing price of $135.31 and trumps a proposal by Charter Communications Inc. to buy Time Warner for about $132.50 per share, or $38 billion in cash and stock.

Rey C.

Racing is life... anything else is just waiting.
I think it means bad things for the future of cord-cutting, broadband subscribers and regular cable TV subscribers. Concast says they will give up 3 million Time Warner cable TV subscribers to make this happen. But as far as I know, they've said nothing about giving up any broadband subscribers. IMO, as more people give up on cable (and satellite) and move to internet based viewing, any cable TV provider which also has a hand in broadband delivery is insulated from the downturn. And to be honest, by having a (heavy) hand in broadband, they can control the consumer even better. If you own the pipes for both popular options for TV viewing (satellite TV is good but satellite based broadband is relatively expensive and unreliable - I had it for several years), then you are really in control, right?

As for the FCC and the Dept. of Justice, I don't know anything about the composition of the FCC these days (probably just a bunch of politically correct hacks, connected country club bums and people who can help Obama once he leaves office - just like with other Presidents). But Brian Roberts (CEO of Comcast) is a pal of both the Democrats and the Republicans. Obama put him on the President's Council on Jobs and Competitiveness and he has attended at least one state dinner at the White House. The Obamas attended a cocktail party in Martha's Vineyard that was hosted by Bran Roberts and his wife last year. And I think we all know that Eric Holder does not do anything to rock the boat (only puts on a show trial every now & again).

My prediction: after some fake hand-wringing and a brief (scripted) show for the public, the deal will go through. Comcast will claim (is already claiming!) that taking out a major competitor is actually good for the consumer, then they'll promise to give up a few more subscribers and within 5 years, rates will begin going up and people who want to drop cable and go for Netflix, Hulu or AppleTV (iTunesTV or whatever they end up doing) to get their TV will find that their broadband rates will be sky high, or throttled once they pass a certain gigs/month limit.

Welcome to the machine...

Will E Worm

Conspiracy...
This is a bad idea.

I'm so glad I live in Europe. I pay the equivalent to $40 a month and get unlimited 100MB fiberoptic internet.

Meanwhile in MERICA! you guys are paying like almost $300 a month for cable? Now they plan to crank up the rates but do nothing to improve the speed or service. AWESOME!

Will E Worm

Conspiracy...
I'm so glad I live in Europe. I pay the equivalent to $40 a month and get unlimited 100MB fiberoptic internet.

Meanwhile in MERICA! you guys are paying like almost $300 a month for cable? Now they plan to crank up the rates but do nothing to improve the speed or service. AWESOME!

:nono: Don't start, or spread lies.

The EU is a disaster and Muslims are taking over your country. :tongue:

Yes, we all live in poverty here. Women walk around naked even in the winter, then freeze to death and THEN are raped by Muslims. Oh and everybody in Europe is French, even the English.

Rey C.

No, the average cable bill here is about $90/month. If you're in an area that bundles services (home phone, cable, internet), even then you wouldn't be looking at $300/month. My internet provider bundles (really just does the billing) for my DirecTV service and even when I had every channel known to man (including full HD, DVR and TiVo channel guide subscription), my total bill was less than $150/month - including my broadband. But you guys do tend to have better/faster high speed internet than we do. All our money (borrowed from China) is going toward "promoting democracy" in Afghanistan, Iraq and Israel... so we're a little short on funds for infrastructure, education and healthcare these days.

But here's the way I look at this: I am more concerned with (pissed off about) not being able to get the channels I want without having to take channels that I hate and don't like subsidizing (Bravo, E-Entertainment, Tru TV, Lifetime, so many infomercial and shopping channels that I've lost count, etc.).

One of my goals for 2014 is to figure out a way to cut the cable/knock down the dish by December 31, but still (reliably) get a feed for live Formula One races and watch the small handful of cable and over-air-network shows that I still watch. I want DirecTV out of my home!!! If they (and the cable and content mafia) continue to make a la carte offerings all but illegal, I am their natural enemy. I don't mind paying. It's not the money. It's making me take something that I hate in order to see the (few) things that I enjoy. This move by Comcast (IMO) just makes their position that much stronger. So I'm against it.

BTW, what's this I hear about naked British girls with French accents running around the English countryside? Any chance you can get me a hotel room near Silverstone this July, so I can go to the F1 race and take part in the sexcapades???

Heh! Before I point out some horrible truths about British women, I have some questions for you.

Why do you need TV at all? I do without it. ANYTHING I can get on TV I prefer to watch on my computer either via streaming or downloaded. I admit, if you want streaming sports and shit, you'd have to pay for it, but I don't care for that shit so I dont. As a result of me not needing anything LIVE, I save myself a fortune. All TV shows and movies I simply get from the Internets. Question, is it possible in America to get just internet without the TV bundles?

Right, now to reply to the rest. They don't promote democracy in Israel, that's already there. They partially fund Israeli's military. I can't speak for the other countries you mentioned in this context other than to say that I understand what you meant in the overall message. America does invest a lot of money in it's foreign policy which it perhaps should not be doing.

British women are among the ugliest around. Don't be fooled by the few attractive ones you might have seen on TV. The average (we're talking about ratios here) is pretty grotesque.

Ace Bandage

The one and only.
I'm in a market where I am forced to get Comcast if I want cable Internet. There aren't any other providers. Right now, they don't offer any Internet only packages. My only option was to get Internet and basic cable (13 channels, not in HD) for $39.99. I'm probably going to get the HD package with DVR and Internet within the next couple of months. That will run about $90 a month for everything. It's a fucking joke.

And you will never encounter a company with worse customer service than Comcast. I hate everything about that company.

Rey C.

Heh! Before I point out some horrible truths about British women, I have some questions for you.

Why do you need TV at all? I do without it. ANYTHING I can get on TV I prefer to watch on my computer either via streaming or downloaded. I admit, if you want streaming sports and shit, you'd have to pay for it, but I don't care for that shit so I dont. As a result of me not needing anything LIVE, I save myself a fortune. All TV shows and movies I simply get from the Internets.

I'm now able to watch or read any and all financial news on my computer when I want or need to (Bloomberg, CNBC, Reuters, etc.). There are only two or three entertainment shows that I still watch on satellite. But I can get most of them using a digital antennae (PBS is over-air network with an antennae). The old movies I could get using Netflix or Amazon Prime. So far, the main thing standing in my way of cutting the cord (or knocking down that DirecTV dish) is not yet finding a way to view live Formula One races. You see, without F1, I will die. I'd be like a vampire with no access to fresh blood. Like a mouse with no cheese. Like Elton John with no sausage. Petra doesn't like it when we speak positively of pirating, but I'll be honest: I will get DirecTV out of my house by year end and I will have my live F1 races in 2015. A man must do what a man must do.

I would subscribe to an F1 season pass, if I could. I'm not a thief - I'm willing to pay. But unlike you folks (with SkySports, is it?) we don't have that option here. And the only way I can view NBCSports, other than on DirecTV, is if I have a cable or satellite subscription that they can authenticate. See, I can watch races on my computer or iPad... as long as I have a DirecTV (Charter/Comcast/Time Warner, etc.) subscription. Gee, thanks. Bastards!

Question, is it possible in America to get just internet without the TV bundles?

Sure. When I kill DirecTV, I'll keep my internet provider. It'll be about $35/month for a 5 Mbps line or $45 for 10 Mbps. The fastest broadband that I'm aware of in the U.S. is 100 Mbps, and later this year the max in the U.S. will go to 300 Mbps in New York and L.A. Is bundling really cheaper? They *claim* that the more services you bundle, the cheaper the package ends up being. That's not always true though. Their package isn't available in my area, but AT&T can give you cable TV, wireless phone service, broadband internet and I think they still do landline phones in some places. But I haven't had a landline phone in my home for over 10 years.

Right, now to reply to the rest. They don't promote democracy in Israel, that's already there. They partially fund Israeli's military. I can't speak for the other countries you mentioned in this context other than to say that I understand what you meant in the overall message. America does invest a lot of money in it's foreign policy which it perhaps should not be doing.

To be honest, I was being sarcastic about the democracy promotion thing. In addition to certain other things, I'm full of sarcasm. Spreading democracy at $3 million per foreign person is perfectly fine and is just what a lot of Americans like to tell themselves or believe. As for Israel, it seems to be about as democratic as the American south was before women and Blacks had the vote. But I'll leave that alone for the politics & religion forum. Our infrastructure really is falling apart though. And it is true that there is very little focus on it compared to foreign aid spending. Public transport and roads, in addition to maintaining a robust and secure power grid, is another area where I believe you folks are ahead of us.

British women are among the ugliest around. Don't be fooled by the few attractive ones you might have seen on TV. The average (we're talking about ratios here) is pretty grotesque.

Most of the female stock around these parts is derived from the English and Irish. So I have to be careful about claiming any sort of superiority on that one. Plus, I was in Walmart to grab some groceries before the big snow hit yesterday. All I'll say is, watching a massive herd of fat, pale women in sweat pants grab for milk and bread ain't somethin' a feller should do after he's had lunch. Man, you just don't know! :throwup: There's a light sprinkling of Italians, Blacks and more recently a few Mexicans and (Asian) Indians here - but not many. Other than the accents, I doubt I would even know I was in England. But while watching the McLarens, Ferraris and Mercedes circulate Silverstone, I wouldn't mind seeing Jessica Brown Findlay or (worst case) Billie Piper running naked around the paddock and speaking French. Princess Beatrice and Queen Lizzie can keep their clothes on - especially if I've just had some fish & chips. That Princess Harry is a cute girl though. :D

Idiot.

Rey C.

The way I see it, if someone uses a question mark, that means they're asking a question. And asking a question does not make one an idiot. Presenting an opinion, as if it were fact, as some people here do, that tends to suggest that one might be an idiot.

I'm just sayin'.

Ace Bandage

The one and only.
The way I see it, if someone uses a question mark, that means they're asking a question. And asking a question does not make one an idiot. Presenting an opinion, as if it were fact, as some people here do, that tends to suggest that one might be an idiot.

I'm just sayin'.
Eh, thinking that people might pay $300 a month for cable service is a bit idiotic. Common sense should tell you that figure is too high.

If I'm going to pay that much, they better be sending someone out my house to blowjob me on a regular basis.

Rey C.

Eh, thinking that people might pay $300 a month for cable service is a bit idiotic. Common sense should tell you that figure is too high.

If I'm going to pay that much, they better be sending someone out my house to blowjob me on a regular basis.

If the $ was his national currency or he'd spent some amount of time here, then that may be true. But even though I've traded a forex contract or two in my lifetime, I don't know how much an iPhone costs in British pounds or Euros. I don't know what a gallon or liter ('scuse me, litre) of gasoline (fuck, petrol!) costs in British pounds or Euros. I spend a lot of time on a British based racing forum during the F1 season. And it's fairly common for us to have misunderstandings over prices and how financial transactions differ from country to country. I've known some of the Germans, Brits and Aussies on that board for nearly 15 years. And I think some of them still think I'm blowing smoke up their asses when I say that I've been buying real estate here for no money down, or even doing closings and putting money in my pocket, since the 80's. Such things are not and have never been possible in their banking or financial systems.

I know some products or services cost a great deal more (or less) in other places. A friend of mine paid $10 a pack for Marlboros in Montreal in 2003, when the price here was probably $2 or so. So I guess that's why his question didn't strike me as idiotic.

bobjustbob

Proud member of FreeOnes Hall Of Fame. Retired to
I'm in a market where I am forced to get Comcast if I want cable Internet. There aren't any other providers. Right now, they don't offer any Internet only packages. My only option was to get Internet and basic cable (13 channels, not in HD) for $39.99. I'm probably going to get the HD package with DVR and Internet within the next couple of months. That will run about $90 a month for everything. It's a fucking joke.

And you will never encounter a company with worse customer service than Comcast. I hate everything about that company.

It's no better by me. You all know about my love of horse racing. TVG is only offered by Cablevision and HRTV is by Version. Thus I would have to subscribe to both to get (pretty much) anything I would watch on television. I have no interest in any network or local programming. The cost for each would be about $100 since I would have to subscribe to a premium and add a sports package for each. Sure they have those nice $89 start up packages but when time runs out your bill jacks up by 50%. Let's not forget about the mountain of taxes on top. Fuck that. My landline and Internet is $45. My flip phone is 10 bucks per month. My horse racing betting account lets me stream any track as long as I bet as little as $25 a month (no problem with that). I have everything I want. Anything else I want to watch can be found on Youtube or Hulu.

After college football and nfl seasons are over I cancel my sports package and get my bill down to $109/mo. through Comcast. That includes high speed internet which is plenty fast for what I need (HDX streaming playback on Vudu). I wish I could customize my package based on the channels I actually watch but this is the next best option. In april I'm signing up for HBO when Game of Thrones starts so that's like + $20.

No, some people actually pay close to $300 for cable or least they pay that much for a bundle(phone, internet and TV). If you want a premier cable package, where you get about 200+ channels, that will cost you around say $80-$90. Some companies will then charge you a fee for every cable box in the house. Some will will also charge a fee for an HD and/or DVR receiver. They they'll charge for the premium channels like HBO and Showtime. Then if you want a sports package or say a Spanish programming package, that will cost you extra as well. You want NFL Sunday Ticket or MLB Extra Innings? that'll cost you too. We haven't even gotten to your phone or your internet yet. So yeah if you add all that up you can get a pretty hefty bill. But if you can afford that I say get whatever you want.

Some companies in Canada already offer "cable ala carte" for about $4/channel. I would imagine this will be the norm very soon across North America. Netflix and other on demand programming are going to force cable companies to adapt. It's only a matter of time before each viewers television experience is uniquely tailored to their tastes. I could see this being beneficial to advertising companies as well.

What happened to you guys? When I was a teenager playing Quake 1 online, I would look upon the USA with envy. They had cable internet when we were still using dial ups. Then we got cable to. Then fire optics. The prices never really changed. Now I look at the USA and you guys still are stuck on the same old cable from 10 years ago but your prices have quadruple. WTF? Is there really no way around going for comcast? You talked about satlites and shit?

In 2005 I was living in Holland at a student dorm had 100MB fireboptic line that was including in my 220 Euro a month rent. In 2007 I lived in Sweden at a student dorm and I had a 300MB fireboptic line that let me download 700MB movies in as little as 23 seconds (my record). It was included in my 2800 kronor (300 Euro) rent. Since then, everywhere I lived in Sweden came with fireoptic internet for no more than 300 kronor a month (33 euros). I'm temporarily living in the UK now and the UK is quite a bit behind most of Europe when it comes to internet. They also live WAAAAY out in the countryside on hills, so all that's available to them is a 20 megatibt internet along with a digital HD package for TV (Several hundred channel package). It's like 35 pounds a month.

The point I'm making for those who would call me idiot without offering anything constructive in addition, is that in Europe (and in Israel for that matter, I've spent time there too) the internet services give you SO MUCH MORE for SO MUCH less. According to my brother who lived in Japan, it's pretty good there too.

georges

Staff member
Worst thing that could ever happen. A big part of the american electrical and telephony networks are pretty old, I imagine that renewing the whole infrastructures would cost billions. There are very few places in the US where 4G LTE and fiber optical networks are installed not to mention about Data Centers and Cloud Centers which are still using the Cisco Nexus which is a pretty limited machine compared to the Alcatel Lucent Omniswitch 10k when it comes to enabling high capacity data transfer and providing fast ethernet rerouting and big broad band for wan, wlan, lan and man networks