• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Colorado Marijuana Activists To Turn In Petition For Full Legalization

Mayhem

Banned
Colorado Marijuana Activists To Turn In Petition For Full Legalization With Nearly Double The Signatures Required For 2012 Ballot Is the full title.

As the state seeks reclassification of medical marijuana to a schedule 2 drug, Colorado pot activists are seeking full recreational use legalization, and by the looks of the amount of signatures they have collected, they are off to an overwhelmingly strong start.

7News reports that the Campaign to Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol says it will turn in nearly 160,000 signatures in favor of the legalization initiative Wednesday to the Secretary of State's Office -- nearly double the 86,000 signatures required to put the question of pot legalization on the 2012 ballot.

The state then has 30 days to decide whether or not the pot measure will be on the ballots, according to The Denver Post. If it gets approval, it would be the first measure approved for the 2012 Colorado election.

The amendment seeks to make the personal use, possession and limited home-growing of marijuana legal for adults aged 21 and older. It establishes a system in which marijuana is regulated and taxed similarly to alcohol is currently. The act also would allow for the cultivation, processing, and sale of industrial hemp, according to the Campaign to Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol website.

The Associated Press reports that if the measure makes it onto the 2012 ballot, which appears likely, the much more difficult road of convincing a majority of Coloradans to challenge a federal drug law, like this measure would do, is ahead. Added to the challenges are the escalating rumors that a federal medical marijuana crackdown, similar to that which was seen in California, is on its way to Colorado.

This would be the second recreational use legalization measure to appear on Colorado ballots, the first, which appeared in 2006, was voted down.

"Because so many people have been hearing about marijuana and about the fact that it's far safer than alcohol, they are becoming increasingly comfortable with acknowledging that an adult should be able to use it without fear of punishment," Mason Tvert, head of the Campaign to Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol, said to the Grand Junction Sentinel about the measure. Tvert also says that full legalization could result in an economic boom for the state and with the current flagging national economy, dollars and cents may get Colorado voters to think differently this time around.

Progress my friends. Progress.

Jagger69

Three lullabies in an ancient tongue
May their efforts prove successful and may the sentiment spread to other states. Government, please stay out of my private life!

This is great news. I hope they are successful, this country needs a state to take the first step into full legalization.

Just wait till Sam finds out about those damn hippies!
They've tried at least three times already. Last year they finally succeeded and they got their "Medical Marijuana Shops" allowed. But, there was so much fraud, drug dealing, and a rise in crime, they shut 'em all down last May.

:rofl2:

Legzman

what the fuck you lookin at?
Hope this works. Unlike California's failed vote. Got a link?

They've tried at least three times already. Last year they finally succeeded and they got their "Medical Marijuana Shops" allowed. But, there was so much fraud, drug dealing, and a rise in crime, they shut 'em all down last May.

http://coloradomedicalmarijuana.net/

Look another bullshit fisher claim. I guess in your eyes we should all have a right to own guns that kill people but god forbid we have a right to put what we want in our bodies.

Hope this works. Unlike California's failed vote. Got a link?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/03/colorado-marijuana-activi_n_1181809.html

Ace Bandage

The one and only.
I hear they're going to be putting the shops up in all of the old KFCs... :D

I'm wholeheartedly against legalization, but it's not really something I feel like arguing about on the boards. Again.

PlasmaTwa2

The Second-Hottest Man in my Mother's Basement
At the risk of making everyone on the board butt-hurt, it's not going to pass.

Mayhem

Banned
At the risk of making everyone on the board butt-hurt, it's not going to pass.

You may be right. But it's still progress. 20 years ago, this wouldn't stand a kittens chance in a blast furnace of even getting signatures. But perceptions are changeing. If it doesn't pass this time, or in this state, they'll start all over and try it again. And eventually it will pass. And then it will pass somewhere else.

Understand, I actually give a fuck about marijuana. The fact that it's illegal has never slowed me down one iota. It's industrial hemp that I'm very up-in-arms about. And if we have to get there with or without Mary Jane, who cares? As soon as we do, a lot of our problems disappear.

They've tried at least three times already.(tried & failed to get the initiative included on the ballot, this is the 1st time it will be voted on by the people) Last year they finally succeeded and they got their "Medical Marijuana Shops" allowed. (that happened in 2000) But, there was so much fraud, drug dealing, and a rise in crime (not according to DPD: http://www.denverpost.com/ci_14275637 ), they shut 'em all down last May.(I still see lots doing business on daily basis.)

Last I read, 51% of CO voters would vote 'yes' for legalization. :cupcake: