• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

College Is a Waste of Time

If I ever have a son or daughter I will counsel them to do this coming out of High School.

--Go to Trade School. Learn a transferable trade/skill that you can take with you and find work whereever you want to live. Culinary Arts, Bartending, Metal work, Automotive. But whatever trade you choose--be the best you can at it. Learn to think creatively within it.

--No undergraduate degree other than Liberal Arts. It's a general degree which teaches a student the only skills needed in an Office Environment--Critical Thinking/Communication.

--Use Postgraduate school as "the lifelong career"--MBA, PhD, JD, MD...

This whole thread's a bunch of bullshit. If I wasn't halfway out the door I'd do the googling for you, but look up average salaries for college grads versus non-grads and for the various types of degrees. College graduates invariably make more money, often even with bullshit degrees like liberal arts.

Bill Gates is a college drop out.

Look how many people are high school and college drop outs and make something of themselves. :hatsoff:

He is one in a million, if not more, a bad example! Most people are not like him and He grew up in a different and early pioneering era, had a incredible and talented partner as well. If you are driven and very smart you can make your way in life, that is true, but among the masses which apply for career positions a College degree is a advantage.

Most people on this site will not end up Bill Gates that it is a incredbile and lofty goal. I am still not doubting anyone that does not have one. It did not even help me in my career due to my profession, but If I were to change fields and apply for a new one, if I did not have one, they would not interview me. It is not fair, but neither is the system.

A person has a better chance getting a job learning a trade or going to a vocational school. It gets right to the point and you get skilled in that one field you enjoy. You go through 13 years of school from kindergarten on up to high school already taking enough general classes and then more general classes in college before you can study something interesting. I have to agree it's a waste of time too.

feller469

Moving to a trailer in Fife, AL.
Bill Gates made a great product, but I bet he hired a marketing firm full of college graduates to get the word out about his product

Ah, so this thread is all about money for some I guess. Whatever spins your world folks. :thumbsup:

Really just about getting by in the world and enjoying the things you like in life! I loved doing it cheap in Europe, but staying a cool small hotels, eating great food, drinking fine and not passing by a great places because I lack funds is why I work.

Well I am about half way through my college with ZERO college debt and I have 3 years of a free ride thanks to the new GI bill. During the boom times of construction I made about $1500 weekly without my full college degree.

It just opens doors. What you choose to do or not do without is your own issue. Having run and owned a couple businesses I would get some return on my investment before going further. Why go to school for 6 years without even having any prospects on steady work?

Work and go to school like the rest of us and quit your bitching.

school is not for everyone, and there are many careers that benefit from those who don't go to college. the world would fall apart without those people and those jobs.
This is probably the best thing that I've read so far.While I would never say that "college is a waste of time",it obviously isn't a necessity for the overall survival of the human race.

I'm just going to assume that the majority of farmers in the world don't have degrees in farming.Let's see what would happen to the world if they were all gone.

An individuals personal "wants" are tied into his/her financial resources,and the absolute best way to be financially resourceful it to be college educated.

Now a persons "needs" is a whole different thing.It's not necessary for the survival of people to have creature comforts like 50" plasma tvs,the biggest house on the block,or the fanciest cars in your driveway.That's all of the shit that we are indoctrinated into thinking that we "need" in order to be happy,but is it?

Someone mentioned (and I'm paraphrasing) that the difference between having a degree and not having one is the difference in being management and being a worker bee.It's obvious that in order to have an efficient workforce,that you can't have one without the other,but I would pose the question,who would last longer,the worker without the management or the management without the worker?

My Dad is in construction making between 40-80 thousand a year and my Mom is a nurse making 80 thousand.
Oldest brother fallowed in my Dads footsteps where his Wife went to college to be an accountant making 50-60 thousand.
My youngest brother went to college in Electrical Engineering makes 125 thousand his Wife became a Mechanical Engineer makes 105 thousand.
My Partner went to college to be a Lawyer and she make 135 thousand making business deals are done right.
Me I work as a mechanic for the city making around 45 thousand. so do I think college is a waist of time I don't think so

lol it's a will e thread. srsly folks?

Collages are bad because they are Illuminati Jewish Communist indoctrination centers. Do you think that it's a coincidence that David Rockefeller and Jesse Jackson both attended Chicago University and that Barack Hussein Obama taught there?

But really for profit universities are a not so subtle tool of class division that enable the wealthy and powerful to pass on their status to their children by placing them in prestigious schools where top positions are recruited from, while keeping the poor who are unable to attend uneducated and unskilled.

With the modern capabilities of internet broadcasting and the cheapness of computers (can be made for about 10-20 US dollars and probably even cheaper if used recycled parts and materials) there isn't a reason why nearly everyone in the world can't receive the educational experience of the best university material right in their own homes.

the cheapness of computers (can be made for about 10-20 US dollars and probably even cheaper if used recycled parts and materials)

Ok, so after doing some research it is possible, but somewhat dubious that you could get a real expectation of that quoted price. Let me just put it this way, for the current leader in the low-end computer market the Christian Children's Fund would have no problem footing the bill to ship them out.

What's even more sad is the fact is seem things indicate a trend where a college education won't make you earn as much more relatively than somebody without a degree in higher education compared to what they were just a handful of years ago, and it seems to be getting worse. It's also bad when you have people that reach that education level and are still struggling to find a job now. Add in the fact it's so hard, often borderline impossible for the least well off people (not to mention the great burden it puts on people to get it even when they have mediocre means) to get an college degree when everybody's telling them that's what they need because all their jobs aren't coming back and you can start to see how our whole system is staring to collapse. Education is great. Not having a reasonably way to implement it and give it to everybody makes much of it pointless in a society.

As of now there is a small number of people that are part of the elite, business, and government that starting to coming around and changing their ideas where at least a small number of them realize that in order to function we need and always needed and will probably need for a very long time still those simple or industrialized jobs that paid a decent wage that most people could do, and now without them we are getting to the point where we are in trouble. Granted even discounting the small number of people changing it's way too late already. Greed is one of the most powerful things in the universe and it make people do very stupid things contrary to what's best if somebody things it will benefit them.

The idea that all those people out there in the United States were going to magically be able to automatically get those great educations that would allow us all to have those fancy new jobs (which often have never materialized) once we exploited the impoverished world and sent our labor there so it could be done as cheap as possible and we no longer had those jobs for ourselves was simply utterly stupid, and so devoid of reality that anybody with a shred of common sense should have seen through it for the tripe it was. That kind of thinking comes from mindless political and economic ideology where people base things off of some fantasy world in their heads and wishful theories that are a flimsy rationalization self gain instead of common sense and what happens in the real world.

while it might be more logical to simply get on the job training in most cases where people need degrees these days, the reality is that in all but a few cases without a college degree a life of economic stagnation can be looked forward to these days

College obviously isn't for everyone. It couldn't be.

But because there are a few people who made successes of themselves without college it would be idiotic to dismiss it as an important institution because of that.

Agreed..college isn't for everyone. There are plenty of jobs that don't require a college education where a person can earn a decent living...beyond that the world is full of creative thinkers who find their niches and become quite successful.

The problem with Will E.'s premise is that it implies the average person with the opportunity and motivation to go to college would be wasting their time. That is a pretty simplistic position and simply not true.

Even if you become saddled with debt..the relatively short term burden of it is far outweighed by the long term earning and career potential the degree positions a person for.

I know people who went to college and loved it...Some hated it.
A couple have a degree in a field that they never were able to get hired in...Some did.
Some have had a good living while some are still struggling to make a dent in their debt.

One guy recently had his 5th wide call him a whore and file for divorce...So he opened up the back side of his head with the help of God, a finger and loaded shotgun.
I'm sure college was in the corner wearing a duster and taunting him to do it.

A couple have a degree in a field that they never were able to get hired in...Some did.
Some have had a good living while some are still struggling to make a dent in their debt.

One guy recently had his 5th wide call him a whore and file for divorce...So he opened up the back side of his head with the help of God, a finger and loaded shotgun.
I'm sure college was in the corner wearing a duster and taunting him to do it.

:confused:

Earning a degree doesn't guarantee the individual will make the right choices to establish or maintain a career or success.

I know there are some people who claim to hate college but I don't understand that since it's a volunteer circumstance.