• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Can Non-Asian People Really Tell The Nationality Of Asians?

Little Red Wagon Repairman

Step in my shop and I'll fix yours too.
I'm a White American guy. I find it impossible to tell if someone is Japanese, Korean, or Chinese. I might be able to tell if someone is from Southeast Asia but not know if they are Thai, Filipino, or something else. As far as Japanese, Korean, or Chinese, how do they look different?

ForumModeregulator

Believer In GregCentauro
your nationality does not posses inherit abilities to identify subcultures of a race. Its more dependent upon how and who you grow up with. If I were to grow up in a culture of white people, I would probably easily be able to distinguish the differences among variations such as telling a Swedish man apart from a Polish one. People that live in Asia can identify those who they live among. You can't just learn how to do something like this. It takes time,exposure, and conditioning.

Follow them around until they are hungry. If they eat raw fish, they are Japanese, if they eat dogs, they are Korean, if they eat a naked mole rat's teeth with grated panda gristle and an octopus penis, they are Chinese.

Little Red Wagon Repairman

Step in my shop and I'll fix yours too.
I've known many people, mainly White like myself, who'd act like they were experts in telling Asians apart. They'd say, "He's Chinese" or "She's Korean" and insist that they looked different or had different features based on where they are from.

I can't tell if a White person is of Polish, German, or Scandinavian ancestry. I'm Russian and most people take me for German or Irish.

I think your getting nationality mixed up with ethnicity, one country could have many ethnic groups, you look at Afghanistan you get the Pashtun people with fair skin and also the tajiks who look almost chinese along with many other groups. In Israel you get people from all over Europe and I've also seen Syrians that look almost identical to Israelis because their ethnic group is extremely similar. Even President Sarkozy of France is Hungarian through his father so could you really say he looks French eventhough his nationality is? If you was to hang around with a lot of asians over a long period of time you may well begin to notice little features like the shape of the eyes and variations in language and will then be able to determine what ethnic group they belong to and then ultimately what country that ethnic group is likely to come from.

The only way to tell whether what country they from is by their names, the Japanese have names like Nakamura or Nataka, the Chinese Wu or Sun or Mei
and the Koreans Park or Jung or Kim.

LukeEl

I am a failure to the Korean side of my family
:facepalm: This coming from the booger, fart, and pregnent fucker guy. It's funny because a majority of my Korean relatives have a hard time figuring out which nationality each white person is made up of, you all look the same to them.

no i do not know the nationality of all of them, although i do know that indians are darker and thais also are darker then chinese. for me it is hard to see the difference between chinese, korean, vietnamese and so on..

LukeEl

Koreans are built a bit more hardier then Chinese and alot better looking than the Japanese. At least that is what my mother always told me.

vodkazvictim

Why save the world, when you can rule it?
Can be kinda hard to tell - but I can always tell if a person is naturalised British or not from the way they hold their body.
Regarless of race, Brits hold their body a certain way and I can spot it standing still close or walking a mile off.

It's kind of hard, hence why everybody goes for the default, "oh it's that Chinese guy". Last names is the only way you can tell and even then it's only if you actually know anything about their culture.

Their eye shapes and faces tend to look all the same to the average person unfamiliar with the subtle differences.

But there are general differences in eye shape and face shapes. And whether oriental Asians admit it or not...they are quite offended when they are judged to look the same.

JayJohn85

Banned
No I don't think they can......Maybe in a few cases.

PS> Its really quite obvious when you have Non-japanese actors acting as japanese in media or other hollywood related shows.....Red alert 3 for example.

LukeEl

Their eye shapes and faces tend to look all the same to the average person unfamiliar with the subtle differences.

But there are general differences in eye shape and face shapes. And whether oriental Asians admit it or not...they are quite offended when they are judged to look the same.

Well considering that they come from ethnic backgrounds and cultures that have been around for thousands of years and some of those said backgrounds and cultures have not been the best of neighbors. Take the Koreans for example my mother being Korean. They have a general dislike for the Japanese because of their occupation during WW2. And the Chinese not every Korea north of Seoul wanted to be commuinist. But aside from that my mother when she immagrated her in the 70's had to deal with that all the time, even to the point when complete strangers asked her "What are you?" But anyway Mega I know you can tell the difference I hope

vodkazvictim

Why save the world, when you can rule it?
No, all Asian people are brain damaged apparently.

Really walking the line there... I think I'll watch what happens.

Well considering that they come from ethnic backgrounds and cultures that have been around for thousands of years and some of those said backgrounds and cultures have not been the best of neighbors. Take the Koreans for example my mother being Korean. They have a general dislike for the Japanese because of their occupation during WW2. And the Chinese not every Korea north of Seoul wanted to be commuinist. But aside from that my mother when she immagrated her in the 70's had to deal with that all the time, even to the point when complete strangers asked her "What are you?" But anyway Mega I know you can tell the difference I hope

Which leads me to wonder; can you tell the origin of white folk? (bearing in mind that I'm not sure what your father was).
This interests me, as, for a cracker, I'm quite a mongrel, with various genetic origins.
The bizzarre thing is that a half-brazilian half-english girl once took me for a middle-eastern person. Which is strange as I was speaking Greek on the phone at the time.
Come on my fellow crackers, answer me this; would you be offended if a non-cracker asked YOUR genetic origin?

JayJohn85

Banned
Naw I would be flattered if someone mistook me for some other cracker origin lulz. Not everyone is so serious I bet some would have said same reaction cause well its interesting.