• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Best Rock & Roll Drummer

Who's the Best Rock & Roll Drummer?

• Stewart Copeland - The Police

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Neil Peart - RUSH

Votes: 39 27.5%
  • Lars Ulrich - Metallica

Votes: 14 9.9%
  • Alex Van Halen - Van Halen

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other - explain...

Votes: 78 54.9%

• Total voters
Who do you think is the best "rock & roll" drummer ever? Why?

I personally can't decide - there are so many great drummers. In the poll I've put my favorite 4 drummers... Add more in the "Other" option if you want! :nanner:

banane081lf.gif
:banger:

Last edited:
what's lars ulrich doing in that list ??
he must be the worst and monotonous metal drummer ever !!
i hate his drumming and he is so cocky....
imagine the black-album with a decent drummer !!

apart from that, there are so many great drummers out there,
it's hard to decide.

i bought the debut album from ark (simply titled ark) from 1999 the other day,
with tore ostby (conception), jorn lande and john macaluso on drums.
his drumming on that album simply blew me away...

for all you drummer-maniacs this will be an interesting site:
http://www.drummerworld.com/

Dave Grohl, was at his best when he played on the Queens on the Stone Age album "Songs for the Deaf"

Dom Howard of Muse, but i would say that because i'm a total Muse groupie, lol

********** said:
It's funny you should say that Stek because my favourite drummer in the world is:

DOM HOWARD of MUSE! He is the most underrated drummer in history and I hope in time they get the credit they deserve.

My second favourite is Dave Grohl also!

My third favourite will be the ******* drummer; I haven't found him yet.

I also happen to think Lars Ulrich is a fucking arsehole and a pretty mundane drummer too; he's a little worm. Just my opinion.

Fox

clearly, you have great taste :thumbsup:

********** said:
As soon as Muse split up, if they ever do god forbid,
don't say that!!!
i can't see them splitting anyway, they all seem really happy doing what they do.
got a new album coming out soon, July 3rd

Patrick_S

persona non grata
I don´t know, the only one i can think of right now is Dave Lombardo (Slayer). Oh, and of course Charlie Watts, just because he´s the coolest guy on the planet.

My favourite rock´n´roll drummers are D.J. Fontana who played with Elvis and Earl Palmer who played with Little Richard and Fats Domino.
As for metal my favourites are Nicko McBrain and Dave Lombardo.

Always idolized Kieth Moon when I was younger. Other favorites are/were

Neal Peart
Phil Ehart
Carl Palmer
Phil Collins
Bill Bruford
Alan White...to name a few

Shit. I forgot Phil Collins. He's a brilliant drummer. Sure, he's gone "adult contemporary," but you gotta give him credit for being an amazing percussionist!!! :banger:

id have to go with nick mason, mainly cause i love to hear the beat of the drum whenever i hear pink floyd songs, its like, i have this little urge to pick up my drum set and go along with it

I'd like definitions of both "best" and "rock n roll" from you, please, nightfly.

All of the drummers you mention are very technically impressive, but I don't class any of them as rock n roll.

Secondly, I think there is a difference between best in terms of technical skills, and best at contributing to consistently wonderful music.

Overall, I'd say Bill Brufors scores highly on both definitions of best, but he's not very rock n roll.

The big guy in Paul McCartney's group is technically brilliant and very rock n roll, but I can't say he's made a great contribution to creating consistently wonderful new music.

Nick Mason, who is not particularly skilled, has to have just about the best quality control in terms of the new music he was involved in creating over the years.

Well, as far as I know, Van Halen, RUSH, Metallica, and The Police are/were all rock & roll bands. I mean, I didn't ask about jazz drummers, and there are tons of great jazz drummers. I just figured that most people here would know the big rock drummers and that we could discuss them, not over-analyze the topic. lol

When I say "best," I mean both technical skill but also creative skill, improvisation, etc. Just about any asshole with 6 months' practice can keep a standard 4/4 beat with a garage band. When you get into half-beats and 2/3 measures, syncopation, etc. it gets really tricky...

To answer the question as to why "so and so" wasn't on the list, I mentioned in the 1st post that those were the top 4 drummers about whom I was thinking at the time. I didn't mean to exclude anyone, so that's why I made a 5th option of "Other" in the poll. ;)

:banger: :nanner:

hot_encounters said:
I'd like definitions of both "best" and "rock n roll" from you, please, nightfly.

All of the drummers you mention are very technically impressive, but I don't class any of them as rock n roll.

Secondly, I think there is a difference between best in terms of technical skills, and best at contributing to consistently wonderful music...