• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Best Rap/Hiphop Album Ever?

I THINK ITS A TIE BETWEEN...
A. THE NOTORIOUS B.I.G.'S "LIFE AFTER DEATH" AND
B. TUPAC SHAKUR'S "ALL EYES ON ME

THE REASONS ARE SIMPLE...BOTH ALBUMS UPPED THE ANTE BY GIVING ABOUT TWENTY TRACKS (20 BANGING TRACKS) INSTEAD OF THE TYPICAL
10+ RAPPERS USED TO GIVE.
NOT ONLY DID THEY GIVE YOU MORE BANG FOR YOUR BUCK BY GIVING YOU
DOUBLE CDS, BUT THEY MADE SURE THAT EACH SONG WAS NOT RUSHED, FORCED, OR WAS NOT JUST A MERE DRONE OF ANOTHER SONG ON THE ALBUM. BOTH ALBUMS WILL BE PLAYED FOR YEARS TO COME.

EDIT: Please read the complete board rules here;
http://board.freeones.com/announcement.php?f=5

Posting Guidelines

Make sure that you know the rules as well as the forum etiquette before posting.

2. Do not use ALL CAPITAL LETTERS and use proper punctuation in your post.

:coolman: :banger: :bigear:

Last edited by a moderator:

dave_rhino

Closed Account
i think Biggy's "Ready to die" was better than "Life after death"

N.W.A "Straight outta compton" was emense...

its a tricky question really.

maybe some Beastie Boys? Does anyone else have an opinion?

pitino said:
I think "3 Feet High and Rising" from De La Soul, is ahead by far!

for the younger ones
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_La_Soul

"3 FEET HIGH AND RISING" IS ONE OF THE BEST HIPHOP ALBUMS EVER
(I STILL HAVE IT AND PLAY IT) BUT I DON'T THINK THAT MANY PEOPLE WERE INTO THAT TYPE OF RAP BACK THEN. MOST DIDN'T GIVE THIS ALBUM ITS PROPS UNTIL MUCH LATER.
STILL GOOD CHOICE.

dave_rhino said:
mate stop using caps-lock, your post will be read, no need to make it more noticeable.

thats why i was using all lower case letters at first. i left the caplock on and was just too lazy to turn it off.

i gotta go with ready to die, but illmatic is hot and pac is the best so i gotta say all eyez on me too. but i'm huge on boot camp n wu tang man.

om3ga

It's good to be the king...
I couldn't limit my reply to a single "best album" - I'd also need to think of those albums that influenced the genre (for good or ill - but I'll leave it to others to decide which):

Biggie - Ready to Die
Tupac - All Eyez on Me.
NWA - Straight Outta Compton
Run DMC - Raising Hell
Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill

De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising
Dr. Dre - The Chronic
Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back
Eric B. & Rakim - Paid In Full (although some prefer "Follow the Leader")
Salt 'n Pepa - Hot, Cool And Vicious (1986) isn't as great as the other albums listed, but S&P deserves a mention for bringing women into rap (besides booty videos)

pitino

are you talking to me?
for the Salt n Pepa reffer...:glugglug:

om3ga said:
Run DMC - Raising Hell
Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill
De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising
Eric B. & Rakim - Paid In Full (although some prefer "Follow the Leader")

Some good albums there Om3ga, also like you it would be impossible to just name one album.

Lets start with 2 Run DMC albums - Tougher Than Leather and also Crown Royal. Hell most of the Run DMC albums are great.
Grandmaster Flash - The Source
The Sugarhill Gang - The Sugarhill Gang
Africa Bambaataa - Planet Rock
The Real Roxanne - The Real Roxanne, is my pick for the ladies of hip-hop. After all she was one of the first ladies on the scene.

Will also give a mention to Roll Deep - In at the Deep End.

Most of these I've posted for a reason, the birth of hip-hop into the music mainstream and the start of something different.

tribe called quest: low end theory
de la soul: buhloone mindstate
pharcyde: bizarre ride to the pharcyde
jungle brothers: j-beez with the remedy
mantronix: the album
beastie boys: pauls boutique
souls of mischief: 93' till infinity
del: both sides of the brain(actually everything by del i great)
aceyalone: a book of human language
freestyle fellowship: innercity griots
etc,etc,etc...BDP, hiero, ultra-mag, dream warriors, sadat-x/brand nubian........

i can't pick just just one album or the best artist, for that matter, but i can definitly say it's not 2pac or biggie. both are extremely talented, but i guess im into more innvative hip-hop. 20 vs 10 tracks? i'll take 10 high quality over 20 mediocre.

but..."momma ain't raised no sucka."

om3ga

poggy1 said:
Some good albums there Om3ga, also like you it would be impossible to just name one album.

Lets start with 2 Run DMC albums - Tougher Than Leather and also Crown Royal. Hell most of the Run DMC albums are great.
Grandmaster Flash - The Source
The Sugarhill Gang - The Sugarhill Gang
Africa Bambaataa - Planet Rock
The Real Roxanne - The Real Roxanne, is my pick for the ladies of hip-hop. After all she was one of the first ladies on the scene.

Will also give a mention to Roll Deep - In at the Deep End.

Most of these I've posted for a reason, the birth of hip-hop into the music mainstream and the start of something different.

Would rep you for Afrika Bambaataa - but I'd already repped you today.
Wanted to pick "Planet Rock" (but like I stated on the best rap single thread, didn't know whether someone would get pedantic and call it an Electro album instead)

om3ga said:
Would rep you for Afrika Bambaataa - but I'd already repped you today.
Wanted to pick "Planet Rock" (but like I stated on the best rap single thread, didn't know whether someone would get pedantic and call it an Electro album instead)

Well Electro was part of the hip-hop scene and they do rap on it.:thumbsup:

om3ga

nothingandless said:
tribe called quest: low end theory
de la soul: buhloone mindstate
pharcyde: bizarre ride to the pharcyde
jungle brothers: j-beez with the remedy
mantronix: the album
beastie boys: pauls boutique
souls of mischief: 93' till infinity
del: both sides of the brain(actually everything by del i great)
aceyalone: a book of human language
freestyle fellowship: innercity griots
etc,etc,etc...BDP, hiero, ultra-mag, dream warriors, sadat-x/brand nubian........

i can't pick just just one album or the best artist, for that matter, but i can definitly say it's not 2pac or biggie. both are extremely talented, but i guess im into more innvative hip-hop. 20 vs 10 tracks? i'll take 10 high quality over 20 mediocre.

but..."momma ain't raised no sucka."

Heck, I'd loved to mention EMPD, X-Clan, Main Source, Mobb Deep, Digital Underground, ColdCrush Brothers, Cypress Hill and Naughty by Nature.
But to imply Biggie & 2pac weren't innovative is to do them a dis-service, imo.....

[edit] and a mention for 3rd Bass.....

Still your list isn't bad - there were times back in the day when I wouldn't play anything else except "Got to Have Your Love" "Bassline" & "Ladies" non-stop (which pissed off the neighbours no-end).....

Last edited:
om3ga said:
But to imply Biggie & 2pac weren't innovative is to do them a dis-service, imo.....

not implying that they weren't innovative, they brought about a new era, im just saying MORE innovative.

and thanks for mentioning EPMD, i totally forgot about them
EPMD: unfinished business..."so watcha sayin?"

chino XL gets a mention, too.

Dr. Dre - The Chronic

This was the first rap album I owned and really liked it. It was the album whcih got me into this particular type of music and I still really like it today. So that is why I go for The Chronic.