• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Best Pro Wrestling Announcer(s)?

Some people might feel that the role of pro wrestling announcers isn't that important. I think the difference between great announcers and poor ones makes a huge difference. Great announcers can amuse you during so-so matches and help immeasurably to put over storylines and to build the drama of good matches and help make them great.

Best announcers:

JR - nobody does a better job of building drama in a match and uses his knowledge of wrestling history in a great way, knows when to shut up and let the story be told in the ring

Paul Heyman - hilarious heel with a lightning fast wit, great vocal control & power

Joey Styles - never as dramatic as JR but a great everyman announcer

Gorilla Monsoon - desert-dry wit, wonderfully laid-back style (in his prime), capable of getting you excited without you realizing what he had done differently

Worst announcers:

Mike Tenay & TNA Team - non-stop bellowing, never know when to shut up, never let the story be told in the ring. Tenay is knowledgeable as anyone but needs someone good to be teamed with to use his knowledge appropriately - the best commentary he ever did was for AAA's When Worlds Collide

Tony Schiavone & the WCW Announce Team - never shut up, rarely stopped yelling, rarely talked about the match currently underway if it was the under-card, made matches that could have been pretty great with a Joey Styles announcing hard to take by their flat-out interference with the match going on by bellowing endlessly about the main event storyline

Good in memory at least:

I don't know who the announcers were for AWA when I watched in the Chicago area in the 70's, but they were damned good, were excellent at selling rivalries and building heel heat appropriately - that was a great time for wrestling with Dick The Bruiser & The Crusher endlessly entertaining tough guy baby-faces (close precedents of Stone Cold Steve Austin).

Bobby "The Brain" Heenan was the funniest IMO.

Skyraider22

The One and Only Big Daddy
Some people might feel that the role of pro wrestling announcers isn't that important. I think the difference between great announcers and poor ones makes a huge difference. Great announcers can amuse you during so-so matches and help immeasurably to put over storylines and to build the drama of good matches and help make them great.

Best announcers:

JR - nobody does a better job of building drama in a match and uses his knowledge of wrestling history in a great way, knows when to shut up and let the story be told in the ring

Paul Heyman - hilarious heel with a lightning fast wit, great vocal control & power

Joey Styles - never as dramatic as JR but a great everyman announcer

Gorilla Monsoon - desert-dry wit, wonderfully laid-back style (in his prime), capable of getting you excited without you realizing what he had done differently

Worst announcers:

Mike Tenay & TNA Team - non-stop bellowing, never know when to shut up, never let the story be told in the ring. Tenay is knowledgeable as anyone but needs someone good to be teamed with to use his knowledge appropriately - the best commentary he ever did was for AAA's When Worlds Collide

Tony Schiavone & the WCW Announce Team - never shut up, rarely stopped yelling, rarely talked about the match currently underway if it was the under-card, made matches that could have been pretty great with a Joey Styles announcing hard to take by their flat-out interference with the match going on by bellowing endlessly about the main event storyline

Good in memory at least:

I don't know who the announcers were for AWA when I watched in the Chicago area in the 70's, but they were damned good, were excellent at selling rivalries and building heel heat appropriately - that was a great time for wrestling with Dick The Bruiser & The Crusher endlessly entertaining tough guy baby-faces (close precedents of Stone Cold Steve Austin).

Jim Ross and the great Gorilla Monsoon hands down

Will E Worm

Conspiracy...
WCW, TNA, NWA, ECW

Joel Gertner, Joey Styles

Mike Tenay and Bobby Heenan
Gorilla Monsoon

Chris Cruise and Ted DiBiase (WXO)
I haven't seen WXO. :rolleyes:

Eric Bischoff

Don "Cyrus" Callis

Taz/Tazz

Mick Foley

Jerry Lawler

WWF All-American Wrestling (USA Network) Gene Okerlund and Bobby Heenan

Kevin Nash "Chet Lemon " and Booker T "Black Snow" :D

Arn Anderson should be an announce.

Also, Dusty Rhodes and Dustin Rhodes.

Wrestling Announcers

J.R

Heyman - he was funny and as a heel he made it very easy to hate him

King - he was funny in the back in the day

Matt Striker

Joey Styles

and Brian Pillman on Shotgun saturday

ChefChiTown

The secret ingredient? MY BALLS
The best wrestling announcers are your friends that get drunk and start doing JR impressions as the matches are going on. Aaaaah, good shit.

maildude

Postal Paranoiac
Mean Gene--because he always looked like he didn't belong there.

JBL, JR, Larry Zbyszko and Vince himself

I'm really surprised that no one mentioned him.Honestly,I've always thought Vince was the best,but my favorite was Joey Styles.

Joey Styles was brilliant at what he did.

Heenan was a great heel announcer, also like Lawler as a heel but not a face.

However for actually calling a match I say Vince then J.R.

bobby the brain and king aint bad either he made puppies exciting

I'm really surprised that no one mentioned him.Honestly,I've always thought Vince was the best,but my favorite was Joey Styles.

I thought Vince sucked, actually - he always had that phony "announcers" voice and put so much energy on maintaining that, he really didn't have much left to put into getting the match over.

Gene Okerlund was easily the best wrestling interviewer & MC of all time - such style, such grace, very witty.

My favorite Gene O moment was when The Iron Sheik was being sworn in to the Hall of Fame and he was hilariously going on & on & on and they couldn't get him off the stage - Gene's attempt was to pull a cell phone out of his pocket, say "Hello?" then hold it out to The Iron Sheik saying "What do you know? It's for you!" then he took his arm and said, "Come on, let's take this back stage." The Iron Sheik shrugged him off, but it was beautiful.

In the past I've always like Joey Styles, Gorilla Monsoon, and Jim Ross. Currently I like Matt Striker, he seems like the only one these days that actually knows what he's talking about and I enjoy listening to his knowledge on wrestling. It reminds me of Joey Styles. Actually WWE should team Joey Styles and Matt Striker together.

Gordon Solie was the greatest of all time. Incredibly straight and dry with an over-the-top sense of humor that contrasted with the bombastic style of professional wrestling.

"I HATE YOU, GORDON SOLIE!" - the Great Malenko for no reason.

Kil4Thril

Closed Account
I always liked Jesse Ventura and Mean Gene together.

Jesse Ventura, Bobby Heenan, and Joey Styles are the best!

Lawler was great but only as a heel; he fucking sux ass, now!

While, i hate JBL the wrestler, he was a great commentator.

Jagger69

Three lullabies in an ancient tongue
Gordon Solie was the greatest of all time. Incredibly straight and dry with an over-the-top sense of humor that contrasted with the bombastic style of professional wrestling.

"I HATE YOU, GORDON SOLIE!" - the Great Malenko for no reason.

Absolutely. No one else even comes close.

:thumbsup: