• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

BDSM After 50 Shades

Having read all 3 of the 50 Shades books and being part of an active BDSM community, I am curious to find out what others think. Has the 50 Shades trillogy helped or hindered the BDSM Community and why?

I'm not sure about the "BDSM community", but I know a few previously non experimental mainstream women who've developed an itch to experiment a little after reading the book(s).

big cock

dominoxxx

Official Checked Star Member
I think the books paint an unhealthy view of relationships and BDSM as a whole. It perpetuates the stereotype that enjoying bondage, domination, and submission stems from a lifetime of abuse. This is definitely true sometimes, but for those of us that are stable and choosy about who let let top/dominate us, it's insulting. As far as relationships, Anastasia mentions a few times that Christian gives her attention when she cries. She also mentions that she can handle Christian spanking her, when she obviously couldn't. If you're partaking in a D/s relationship, communication is vital, and he told her this over and over. She still runs out of the room crying and breaks up with him. Epic fail on her part.

The good thing is... guys everywhere are dealing with women that no longer feel weird about wanting to be dominated and spanked.

Harley Spencer

Well, the books were written by a married woman who had to do research on BDSM before writing books about it, having no experience in the lifestyle herself. That might say something about why the characters, their choices, their backgrounds, their activities, their personalities, etc. are unrealistic. Plus, it's just a book, so who cares if it's unrealistic? It's a fantasy, that's all it is, and a good one.

Before I read the books, I was thinking, "This must be one hell of a nasty story if seemingly every girl is reading it." Once I read them, I thought, "All these girls hyping it up, saying how much sex is in it and being shocked about it, must be pretty sheltered sexually." And I still think that. Nothing in that book surprised me, and it actually didn't turn me on as much as it evidently turned thousands of other women on. Sure, it was hot and nice to fantasize about and was a great escape from reality, but... it's not as... crazy as it's hyped up to be.

Hmm... maybe I should write a romance/erotic novel trilogy and see how the world reacts.

dirtylittleholly

My mother-in-law got the books for Christmas. I'll have to ask her opinion once she's done... :facepalm:

vodkazvictim

Why save the world, when you can rule it?
Well, the books were written by a married woman who had to do research on BDSM before writing books about it, having no experience in the lifestyle herself. That might say something about why the characters, their choices, their backgrounds, their activities, their personalities, etc. are unrealistic. Plus, it's just a book, so who cares if it's unrealistic? It's a fantasy, that's all it is, and a good one.

Before I read the books, I was thinking, "This must be one hell of a nasty story if seemingly every girl is reading it." Once I read them, I thought, "All these girls hyping it up, saying how much sex is in it and being shocked about it, must be pretty sheltered sexually." And I still think that. Nothing in that book surprised me, and it actually didn't turn me on as much as it evidently turned thousands of other women on. Sure, it was hot and nice to fantasize about and was a great escape from reality, but... it's not as... crazy as it's hyped up to be.

Hmm... maybe I should write a romance/erotic novel trilogy and see how the world reacts.

A colleague at work told me that after he got his wife the first book, they started having sex again.

I gave my wife all 3 shortly after.
We still barely have any sex.
:crying:

Petra

Cult Mother and Simpering Cunt
So far, I've managed to resist. Eventually I'll run across the english version for a few euro and will probably pick it up just to see what the hype is about, but I've heard that Ann Rice's attempt at BDSM erotica was better. If that's the case, it's probably better that I just don't.

vodkazvictim

Why save the world, when you can rule it?
So far, I've managed to resist. Eventually I'll run across the english version for a few euro and will probably pick it up just to see what the hype is about, but I've heard that Ann Rice's attempt at BDSM erotica was better. If that's the case, it's probably better that I just don't.
You don't read their hideously mangled version of German by now?!