• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

are the 'stars and bars' offensive?

I think I read somewhere that you're a veteran, right?
I think sometimes the military fails to appreciate just how important people like Friday are when it comes to advocating for soldiers. Voices like Friday's are sometimes the only voices preventing your lives from being squandered by reckless governmental policy.
So while I agree he should be grateful for the method by which you protect his freedom, I also believe you should be grateful for the method by which he protects yours.
Both are elemental to ensuring the freedoms we all enjoy...

...in my opinion.

Is Friday a vet?

I am just wondering what the concensus is. If it is offensive, why? If not, why not?

Here are a couple experiments that You Might try:

1. See how long it takes you to find a black person who doesn't find the Confederate flag offensive.

2. Wear a Confederate flag pin on the lapel of your suitjacket next time you interview for a job. Or do you decide to leave it at home? http://board.freeones.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

You Might argue as others have that the flag represents other things and I'm sure that's true. Regardless, perception heavily influences reality and a majority of people caricaturize those who wave the Confederate flag as some combination of racists and white trash. If you think the flag is important enough to potentially marginalize yourself over it, then go for it dude.

I think I read somewhere that you're a veteran, right?
I think sometimes the military fails to appreciate just how important people like Friday are when it comes to advocating for soldiers. Voices like Friday's are sometimes the only voices preventing your lives from being squandered by reckless governmental policy.
So while I agree he should be grateful for the method by which you protect his freedom, I also believe you should be grateful for the method by which he protects yours.
Both are elemental to ensuring the freedoms we all enjoy...

...in my opinion.

Thank you for that! But my opinion as stated below about being greatfull may not be exactly what some would like.

Is Friday a vet?

Am I a vet? No

While I did once think about joining in my youth I did not.I was 18 in 1976 at the end of the the draft era of vietnam.But had couple good friends enlist and considered it but luckily decided against it.I do have a nephew who has done 3 tours in Iraq.

Looking back I'm really glad I never was part of the military,If I had been it would be one of those things I would have really regretted being a part of later.Fighting and putting your life on the line and even more importantly being part of killing people for freedom would be one thing,but miltary adventures for other reasons (economic,imperialist etc) is another and thats all the USA has been involved in since WW2.We were the bad guys in Vietnam and the wars since have had zero to do with freedom as well and have not been noble causes fought for freedom.

But in reality all this is very off topic.:2offtopic

While I understand the nationalist flag wavers in america may find the peace sign and it's legacy from the 60s and the vietnam era objectional, to compare it to the Stars and bars and all that represents is a real stretch.

Vlad The Impaler

Power Slave
Thank you for that! But my opinion as stated below about being greatfull may not be exactly what some would like.

Am I a vet? No

While I did once think about joining in my youth I did not.I was 18 in 1976 at the end of the the draft era of vietnam.But had couple good friends enlist and considered it but luckily decided against it.I do have a nephew who has done 3 tours in Iraq.

Looking back I'm really glad I never was part of the military,If I had been it would be one of those things I would have really regretted being a part of later.Fighting and putting your life on the line and even more importantly being part of killing people for freedom would be one thing,but miltary adventures for other reasons (economic,imperialist etc) is another and thats all the USA has been involved in since WW2.We were the bad guys in Vietnam and the wars since have had zero to do with freedom as well and have not been noble causes fought for freedom.

But in reality all this is very off topic.:2offtopic

While I understand the nationalist flag wavers in america may find the peace sign and it's legacy from the 60s and the vietnam era objectional, to compare it to the Stars and bars and all that represents is a real stretch.

I'm not comparing it to anything, I simply stated that I find it offensive. I've never waved a flag in my life though I've saluted plenty. Its pretty amazing what people chose to find distasteful versus acceptable.

I'm not comparing it to anything, I simply stated that I find it offensive. I've never waved a flag in my life though I've saluted plenty. Its pretty amazing what people chose to find distasteful versus acceptable.

That we can agree on lol.I find it hard to beleive anyone could find the stars and bars acceptable.IMO only the nazi flag carries more baggage.

Facetious

Moderated

:1orglaugh :1orglaugh :1orglaugh

Some people . . . here we claim to want peace, yet we're always dredging up and dabblin into the things that are most likely to divide us.

:1orglaugh :1orglaugh :1orglaugh

Some People . . . .

^^^^^^^^^^

Says the man with over 10,0000 posts since may 2007.:facepalm:

Edit: And please stop trying to inflict bad lame music on me,:1orglaugh next it will Freebird or something.:eeew:

Why not everyone display it? Let all the kids wave it around in school, let it hang off all public buildings and introduce a clothing line with the flas as a label. Watch how quickly those who display it for race baiting reasons drop it, Then you'll only have people displaying it for resons of tradition or heritage rather than to piss off people of colour.

Some people fly it because they have ancestors who fought and died for the Confederacy.

Why not everyone display it? Let all the kids wave it around in school, let it hang off all public buildings and introduce a clothing line with the flas as a label. Watch how quickly those who display it for race baiting reasons drop it, Then you'll only have people displaying it for resons of tradition or heritage rather than to piss off people of colour.

That´s what i´m thinking too. Over here in Germany it is the same thing with the swastika or "Mein Kampf". The more you ban it, the more you make it attractive to idiots who want to be perceived as "EVIL". Remember, it is people who give meaning to symbols, not the other way around. Just encourage a lot of open minded people to wear the so called rebel flag. I think the initially sense was Independence. What is a good thing I think.
Sorry for any misspellings. :D