• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Americanisms...

Philbert

Banned
And then there is the really southern term "you'ens" which is ya'll plus three.:D

I just hate when a DamnYankee tries to do Southern...ya'll is 2 or more...up to 32,000,000 or so...

ps...I was 21 before I realized "DamnYankee" was 2 words!:rofl:

habo9

Banned
Why are sweets called candy?

Why do yz call your bum your fanny? If you have a fanny here , you are a girl

Why do yz call trousers pants? When pants are clearly underwear

Why do yz call a silencer a muffler?

Why are braces called suspenders? Something yz want to tell us lol

Why call a pavement a sidewalk?

Why call chips , fries?

Holiday , why call it a vacation?

Why call the Boot of a car the trunk?

And the bonnet the hood?

Autumn , why call it Fall?

Post code , why call it zip code?

Why call a pair of trainers , sneakers? You eat Sneakers

We gave you our language , please stop making it sound stupid :tongue:

Turns out you all, Youens, and the like isn't as "stupid" as most people think. Most every other language has a plural form of "you." (Think French "vous.") English doesn't. These terms are ways to compensate for that. Let's all settle on one and adopt it.

I vote for "yous."

I just hate when a DamnYankee tries to do Southern...ya'll is 2 or more...up to 32,000,000 or so...

ps...I was 21 before I realized "DamnYankee" was 2 words!:rofl:

Dammit I may be damned but I am not a yankee.:mad:
I'm from Michigan which is mostly rednecks with really heavy coats.

ps... I was 20 before I knew that for the rest of the country driving coast to coast took more than 3 hours.:1orglaugh

Philbert

Banned
Dammit I may be damned but I am not a yankee.:mad:
I'm from Michigan which is mostly rednecks with really heavy coats.

ps... I was 20 before I knew that for the rest of the country driving coast to coast took more than 3 hours.:1orglaugh

I'm sorry...but the usual retort is "Oh, yeah? Well, I was 22 before I found out that Robert E. Lee wasn't just the name of a Steamboat!"!

Please keep to the script...:mad:

Philbert

Banned
Why not?

A bum sleeps on a park bench, or bats .213.
A butt is called an ass.

trousers went away with the early '50s...pants are the correct term.

A silencer keeps a gunshot from being heard...a muffler muffles the loud sound of an engine.

Why are braces called suspenders? Something yz want to tell us
Braces keep teeth from being crooked in adolescents...suspenders keep pants from falling down.

Because you use it to walk along the side of the road.

Why call chips , fries?
Because they are fried? Duh...

A holiday is July 4th; a vacation is where we go somewhere to relax and get drunk.

A boot is what you get up your ass when you use weird words in a normal neighborhood; a trunk is where things are kept with a lid to close and lock.

And the bonnet the hood?
A bonnet is what Granny wore on Easter; a hood is a cover on a head, or in this case the front of a car.

What leaves do in Autumn?

'Cause it made the mail zip to the address.

Tell that to a young Homie when he's removing your wheels quietly...

We gave you our language , please stop making it sound stupid.
Please keep your "Language", we got a better one.

I'm sorry...but the usual retort is "Oh, yeah? Well, I was 22 before I found out that Robert E. Lee wasn't just the name of a Steamboat!"!

Please keep to the script...:mad:

I'm sorry I'll really try harder next time. Honest.:shy:

habo9

Banned
Why not?

You may have this one

A butt is called an ass.

A bum sits on a park bench , "away and sit on your fanny" , I wouldnt be able to move for laughter if I ever heard this

Correction the word pants comes from underpants(underwear) , you dont get undertrousers , also the word pants means rubbish as well , as in "That show was pants"

A silencer keeps a gunshot from being heard...a muffler muffles the loud sound of an engine.

Ok I can see your point but I just meant on cars and you can still hear a shot from a gun with a silencer

Braces keep teeth from being crooked in adolescents...suspenders keep pants from falling down.

Suspenders are for women to hold up there stockings , braces are two peices of wide elastic stretched over shoulders to hold trousers up and it also means for teeth , BTW if your ever in Scotland ask a guy if you can see his suspenders...:eek:...I bet you end up in hospital

You dont need a pavement to walk along the side of the road , would you call a grass verge at the side of the road a sidewalk........No , it would need a pavement to be called a sidewalk

Why call chips , fries?

So are eggs , bacon , rice , beef , prisoners and a whole load of other stuff but we dont call them fries and you dont have to fry chips , you can oven bake them as well

A holiday is July 4th; a vacation is where we go somewhere to relax and get drunk.

No a holiday is were you go and get drunk and relax , the 4th of July we would call a day off

A boot is what you get up your ass when you use weird words in a normal neighborhood; a trunk is where things are kept with a lid to close and lock.

And the bonnet the hood?
A bonnet is what Granny wore on Easter; a hood is a cover on a head, or in this case the front of a car.

These two Im not really bothered , I just wondered

Why not call spring-bud or summer-hot or winter - cold....I will tell you why? because it would sound ridiculouis like fall :1orglaugh

I see you couldnt really answer this ;)

They are basically training shoes that is what they were for training not sneaking but that made me laugh :rofl:

No you dont , your language is called English :hatsoff::tongue:

habo9

Banned
Objection your honour ! A Big Rig 18 + wheeler tractor truck should not be reduced to the feminine "lorrie" namesake :nono:

Lorry , but it wouldnt , it would be called a big rig , a lorry would be a big rigs little brother , but we dont get that many massive lorrys like yz have :hatsoff:

Elwood70

Torn & Frayed.

Philbert

Banned
Why not?

You may have this one

A butt is called an ass.

A bum sits on a park bench , "away and sit on your fanny" , I wouldnt be able to move for laughter if I ever heard this

Correction the word pants comes from underpants(underwear) , you dont get undertrousers , also the word pants means rubbish as well , as in "That show was pants"

Ok I can see your point but I just meant on cars and you can still hear a shot from a gun with a silencer

Suspenders are for women to hold up there stockings , braces are two peices of wide elastic stretched over shoulders to hold trousers up and it also means for teeth , BTW if your ever in Scotland ask a guy if you can see his suspenders...:eek:...I bet you end up in hospital

You dont need a pavement to walk along the side of the road , would you call a grass verge at the side of the road a sidewalk........No , it would need a pavement to be called a sidewalk

Why call chips , fries?

So are eggs , bacon , rice , beef , prisoners and a whole load of other stuff but we dont call them fries and you dont have to fry chips , you can oven bake them as well

No a holiday is were you go and get drunk and relax , the 4th of July we would call a day off

And the bonnet the hood?

These two Im not really bothered , I just wondered

Why not call spring-bud or summer-hot or winter - cold....I will tell you why? because it would sound ridiculouis like fall :1orglaugh

I see you couldnt really answer this ;)

They are basically training shoes that is what they were for training not sneaking but that made me laugh :rofl:

No you dont , your language is called English :hatsoff::tongue:

You dont need a pavement to walk along the side of the road , would you call a grass verge at the side of the road a sidewalk........No , it would need a pavement to be called a sidewalk.
Pavement is a type of covered roadway...an asphalt road is also referred to as pavement...we call the sidewalk material "Concrete" or "Cement", or even asphalt will do...and use a sidewalk to walk along the SIDE of the road...no paved walkway, no sidewalk. Pretty simple...

Suspenders are for women to hold up there stockings , braces are two peices of wide elastic stretched over shoulders to hold pants up and it also means for teeth , BTW if your ever in Scotland ask a guy if you can see his suspenders......I bet you end up in hospital.

:rofl:
Here in the USA we have pantyhose for our women...they don't use anything to hold up their stockings. How retro...I see you live in a culture that uses antique systems and words. I understand where the confusion comes from. I would never want to see a Scottsman's suspenders if they weren't visible on his shoulders, holding up his pants.

So are eggs , bacon , rice , beef , prisoners and a whole load of other stuff but we dont call them fries and you don't have to fry chips , you can oven bake them as well.

Chips are sliced chips of Potato, and French Fries, or fries, are fried chunks of potato, not home fries or home baked...but fries. We have other names for the other things, don't the English? And don't forget...we rule the World.
:bowdown:

No a holiday is were you go and get drunk and relax , the 4th of July we would call a day off.

Silly...you have the day off because it's a HOLIDAY...not a sick day or whatever. Relaxing and getting drunk requires a small space of time between working and not working, and requires no holiday. That's just what we do when we have the time. A vacation is a journey somewhere that we usually don't go to, and occurs once a year or so.

Why not call spring-bud or summer-hot or winter - cold....I will tell you why? because it would sound ridiculouis like fall

Because we have the sense to call Winter Winter, and Summer Summer. To make it easier for some we describe the inbetween times as Spring...when the buds and stuff spring up, and Fall as the time leaves begin to Fall from trees. Pretty simple...

Only if you never woke up to find your new wheels gone and even the dog never barked...lol.

I see you couldnt really answer this .

I answered someone who lives in a country that is a living antique...once the zip was added to the address it sped up delivery immensely...that's why it is called a ZipCode.:thumbsup:

... your language is called English.
Only for tradition's sake...everyones outside the US tries to learn American English so they won't be handicapped in the real World.

Imagine how stupid this all sounds to someone who has English as a second language. It just means that I have to learn two sets of words for a lot of things.

habo9

Banned
LOL this arguement is getting ridiculouis , English is English no matter which word you put on it , people in Zimbabwe dont speak Zimbabwe English , Australians dont speak Australian English , New Zealanders dont speak New Zealand English and only the reason you get American English anywhere is on computers because the keyboards are slightly different and it gives you the option , it isnt the letters that are different.....

Your alphabet is the exact same as the English one and people outside America learn the proper way to speak English , go anywhere in the world and it will be proper English that is getting taught because it is the mother tongue of all English and the international language of business...

The English language preceeds your nation by at least one thousand years so its not your language and neither is American English , I prefer to call it Canadian English if Im going to call it anything , yz change the meaning of 40 words and suddenly yz have your own language , puhleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze :rofl2:

I live in Scotland & we have different words from the English just like America but we dont call it Scottish English it is English , our language before English was gaelic

I have been all over the world and not once have I seen American English as an option in any country for language , its alway just plain English :D

Ps If yz rule the world , why are you scared of Russia , China and N.Korea and why do you only invade countries that you think you will beat , what happened to Russia last year when they invaded your ally Georgia , yz seriously condemned it & tried telling them off................:nono:

Wow that showed them , I could hear Russia laughing at America from here :rofl:

That moment is when America lossed any kind of respect they had left in the world , are Americans that blind yz cant even see your nation is a laughing stock all over the world , keep believing your media driven views about the USA because its not true..lol

FFS you cant even catch goat herders in a few hills , with the so called best technology in the world , yet a reporter can get an interview :rofl:

Americas days as the super power of the world are numbered , if not gone already , China and Russia are bigger and more powerful than they have been for years and will only become stronger as they grow and ally

Philbert

Banned
Yeah, people are just lining up at the borders of China and Russia to get in...and I seem to remember quite a few UK soldiers involved in searching for Saddam and Osama...I don't remember if they found him or not...oh, yeah, that's right...they didn't.
The UK did kick shit outa Argentina after a hard fight, though...you must be proud...!:sleep:
The sun set a long time ago on the British empire...sour grapes.:wave2:

habo9

Banned
Dont start me about our government , I would be here all day slaying them :mad:

Sour grapes , I dont think so , thats the usual typical American reply , nothing could be further from the truth :1orglaugh

Not all of us think as you would like us to , that America is the be all & end all

I pretty much think our government sucks too and I was never involved in a British Empire & so I am not proud of it either ,far from it I couldnt care less , do you think Im 200 years old and really give a shit , also I dont think going around the world bullying other countries you know you can beat is the sign of greatness or power , be it once the British Empire or now present day America

The difference between Argentina and Iraq was the Argentinians invaded British land and got kicked back out , although again I think the Argentinians should have it , yes and Britain played there part in Iraq , do I agree with it............No

Do you think Britain and Americas foreign policies have worked?

Do you think as a country you are safer today because of foreign policies?

My answer to both of these is................No

Im from Scotland in Britain , firstly Im Scottish , I think you will find most Scots couldnt give a shit about the British Empire , so sour grapes isnt an option :rofl::glugglug:

When you think Scots dont put us down as the same as English because we are far from it , Britain isnt one nation so dont lumber us all together , our foreign policy is out the window because all that shit is decided in England , Scotland voted against the wars in the middle east but we were still dragged into it because Westminster went ahead with it , we are not as democratic as we would like the world believe , they wont even give us a vote to get rid of them but some day it will happen , I hope in my lifetime , Scotland becomes an independent nation again :hatsoff:

Why Holiday , why call it a vacation?

You live outside of the US and get the day off on the 4th of July? That is both interesting and confusing... Do you also celebrate Thanksgiving?

Dont start me about our government , I would be here all day slaying them :mad:

Sour grapes , I dont think so , thats the usual typical American reply , nothing could be further from the truth :1orglaugh

Not all of us think as you would like us to , that America is the be all & end all

I pretty much think our government sucks too and I was never involved in a British Empire & so I am not proud of it either ,far from it I couldnt care less , do you think Im 200 years old and really give a shit , also I dont think going around the world bullying other countries you know you can beat is the sign of greatness or power , be it once the British Empire or now present day America

The difference between Argentina and Iraq was the Argentinians invaded British land and got kicked back out , although again I think the Argentinians should have it , yes and Britain played there part in Iraq , do I agree with it............No

Do you think Britain and Americas foreign policies have worked?

Do you think as a country you are safer today because of foreign policies?

My answer to both of these is................No

Im from Scotland in Britain , firstly Im Scottish , I think you will find most Scots couldnt give a shit about the British Empire , so sour grapes isnt an option :rofl::glugglug:

When you think Scots dont put us down as the same as English because we are far from it , Britain isnt one nation so dont lumber us all together , our foreign policy is out the window because all that shit is decided in England , Scotland voted against the wars in the middle east but we were still dragged into it because Westminster went ahead with it , we are not as democratic as we would like the world believe , they wont even give us a vote to get rid of them but some day it will happen , I hope in my lifetime , Scotland becomes an independent nation again :hatsoff:

Foreign policy decided in England? Yes, by Scotsmen like Brown, Blair and all the rest. As for not being bothered about the Empire the Scots played a prominent part.Scotland got a terrific bargain with the Union, it gave scope for its innovative genius which would have been stifled in an independent Scotland, it kept its legal and educational systems and to a large part its identity.In any case there had been so much intermingling between the Scots and the English that the Union really made official what was already happening.
As for bullying in the days of Empire I find it difficult to see how a few thousand troops spread over 23 million square miles could hold down several hundred million subjects by force for over a century.
The Falklands were discovered by the British in 1635 , they were uninhabited and claimed for the Crown.Argentina has no justification for any claim to them except they are the nearest country-but at 300 plus miles it's not much of a reason.