• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Alcoholism a disease?

At work last night, a few of us got into a pretty heated debate on whether or not alcoholism is a "disease".

I don't think it is. You choose to pick up the glass, just the same with any other addiction.

Discuss.

meesterperfect

Hiliary 2020
yes its like totally a disease and like those people with that disease should be given free stuff from the government via the taxpayers hard work and sacrifices.
maybe like support them until their like cured or something.
And like maybe to fit him into the disabilty budget they can like deny someone who has severe artheritis or has had a quadruple bypass or something.

for those who don't know me, that was msacras

A disease? Tell someone who is dying from cancer that you are an alcoholic, but you can't help it, it's not your fault, because you have a "disease." See how they respond.

What a load of crap. Further proof of how people are shirking personal responsibility. Can you become addicted? Yes. Is it because you have a disease? No freaking way. YOU choose to put the bottle to your lips.

The guy dying from pancreatic cancer didn't have a say in the matter.

GiNnJuice

Banned
you can call it a disease to a certain extent.
it can go through family genes, and it mostly starts at a young age.

Spleen

Banned?
They call it a disease, and in theory it is. But technically? No.

☼LEGIT☼
My buddy is having an alcohol issue. He is only nineteen. Hes in the military and wants out, but can't figure out a better way to waste time.

I don't think you can classify it a disease, but he has a problem. His depression is causing him to drink though. Hard to reply on this issue though, because it's depressing for me.

it depends from which point of view do you look at it.

physically it is disease, cuz your organism suffers a lot - your liver, your heart, your brains etc. and you need to cure it, otherwise you will destroy yourself completely.

and it is mental disease as well. as soon as there is such a part of the science as psychiatry, you have to count mental problems as diseases too.
it is kinda "paralysis of the will". I tend to think that addiction is a disease from psychiatric point of view.

it can have different roots, and different people come to it by different roads, but after certain level they begin to be very similar in the way it affects them. no matter how different and unique those people were before they became alcoholics: so you can trace the course of a disease step by step.

PS: it is better to say that alcholism is the consequence of some big psycho diseases (which can be very different), so to cure alcoholism you need to cure the real reason of it, which can be deep in the corrupted mind of a person.

A disease? Tell someone who is dying from cancer that you are an alcoholic, but you can't help it, it's not your fault, because you have a "disease." See how they respond.

What a load of crap. Further proof of how people are shirking personal responsibility. Can you become addicted? Yes. Is it because you have a disease? No freaking way. YOU choose to put the bottle to your lips.

The guy dying from pancreatic cancer didn't have a say in the matter.

Absolutely EXCELLENT response Galactic.

there are different diseases. not all of them are deadly. and the fact that there are some more dangerous diseases doesn't not mean that the rest are not diseases at all.

common cold is not as deadly as HIV but you still need to cure it.

prostatitis does not lead to the painfull death neither. but would you make laugh of those who suffer from it just cuz some other people suffer from a cancer? :dunno:

and by the way,
a lot of diseases are the result of the way people live their lifes. it is their own fault very often, cuz they eat fucked up food, they do not take care of their health, they spoil their body themselves, and one day they find out that they have kidney stone disease or ulcer, or good ol' cancer... after 20 years of smoking.

Isnt it the question of their responsibility either? of course, some diseases happen with no obvious reasons, but usually people help them. and from that point of view alcoholism/addiction is not much different from any other diseases.

Analingus

Banned
My name is...hic...um..hic...anal...hic...what was your na....hic...hey.

It seems there is a genetic predisposition for some alcoholics...

But i honestly don't buy that theory. I don't think that dependances are diseases.

If it is a disease it's self induced. Whether we should consider self induced addictions and a lack of willpower a disease is another matter. On one hand, I can see how technically it can be and why some medical professionals consider it one. On the other hand doing so can open a slippery slope on what's a disease. I don't want to someday be unable to blame somebody from coming into work on time or some kid for not doing his homework because every flaw in people that causes them to be weak or lazy is now considered a "disease", and they claim they "can't help it".

Technically not a disease but there are different ways of looking at it.If ones family were alcoholics and it is passed on through the genes,does it then become a disease?Can you class anything that needs to be treated as a disease??

Facetious

Moderated
I don't know that alcoholism is an actual disease. Only up until recently have the major professional medical establishments identified one's abuse of alcohol as such a disease. I suspect that there was a lobby effort, rightful or otherwise, to, in effect modify the designation of mere alcoholism into something that the individual shall bear no personal responsibility for.
For Instance -

"I can't help it that I'm an alcoholic ! I have a disease ! and if the disease wasn't enough . . . I am therefore also disabled ! or so they tell me :tongue::thefinger
AND . . .
"Since I carry this "disease" and burden of disability (ha ! you suckers !), the greedy working - actual productive people should pay for my medical services ! and welfare forever and ever Ahmed !
After all, the rest of the world subsidizes their citizens' medical services !

Yeppers ! It's political, IMO :D

In closing, I think that I recall a story, some years back, about MADD being opposed to the idea that alcoholism is being identified as a disease. I think the "disease factor " weakens the leverage of their agenda.

Sorry, can't call it a disease. It is an addiction, that in the end (like when alcoholics die) it becomes an affliction, but never, never is it a disease. To become an alcoholic one only needs to have zero discipline and an even lower self esteem.

The only "disease" thats suffered from alcoholism is the ill feelings that friends and family members have to suffer from watching the alcoholic destroy themselves.

...and for the record yes, I do have a brother who is an alcoholic, and if I had to call it... I would say at his current rate of drinking he WILL be dead in 2 years.

Sig___Stampede2873_by_diesal2873.jpg

Most doctors would tell you it's a disease and there is a lot of evidence to back that up.It's a mental disorder with some physical genetic factors that make some people more prone to it.People should really try to understand that not all "diseases" are just purely physical ailments.But I guess some will never accept mental disorders as equivalent to purely physical ones.
Is being psychotic or schizophrenic a disease? Ask yourself would people really choose to be such? Layman may argue about it but the medical community is very clear on that they feel it is a disease and a treatable one as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcholic

I dont know my comrades, me and my president drink 1 litres vodka every day before...and in USSR nobody say is sick. Boris Jeltsin drink 2 litres himself in 1994 when he go meet comrade Clinton.

- Thank you, Vladimir