• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

A Short Guide to the Internet Troll

Rattrap

Doesn't feed trolls and would appreciate it if you
It seems some advice on the topic is needed, even though I'll bet most of it is already known and is mostly ignored anyway. But in the hopes of trying to make this board a better place, I present to you some advice - guidelines or rules, even - on combating and defeating a forum troll.

Here's rule #1: :troll:
Rule #2 is pretty similar, in case you missed it: :troll:
The third rule follows a simple psychology that repetition is a means to memorization: :troll:

This, I'm sure you all knew well enough! But maybe what you're not realizing is this:
  • Posting in a troll's thread is feeding the troll - regardless of what you're posting (the troll cares not whether you agree, disagree, or belittle - it cares you've fed it)
  • Viewing a troll's thread is feeding the troll - you should know who the established trolls are. If you see them create a thread, don't even click on it. The most powerful rejection of their trolling is sent when they see their thread has damn-near close to 0 views.

A more verbose guide that can be found here. Some highlights:
For trolls, any response is 'recognition'; they are unable to distinguish between irritation and admiration; their ego grows directly in proportion to the response, regardless of the form or content of that response.
Thick or Sad - Trolls are usually sad, lonely folk, with few social skills; they rarely make what most people would consider intelligent conversation. However, they frequently have an obsession with their IQ and feel the need to tell everyone. This is so frequent, that it is diagnostic! Somewhere on the web there must be an Intelligence Test for Trolls - rigged to always say "above 150"

Note that this guide and others typically define a troll as someone who is intentionally baiting or posting stupid shit; for the pragmatic purposes of trying to make this a better place, I'm including people who are honestly posting stupid shit repetitively into the definition, as the same rules still apply.

Remember!
The most effective way to combat a troll is to ignore it, completely - don't respond to them, don't post in their threads, don't even look at their threads. Anything less is feeding, and therefore, aiding and abetting the troll.

LukeEl

I am a failure to the Korean side of my family
What if you ask a troll a riddle within their troll thread?

alexpnz

Lord Dipstick

Rey C.

Racing is life... anything else is just waiting.
Well, you're right, of course. Especially since they become even more desperate (and annoying) as time goes on, the only thing to do is ignore them. I've been on forums since the Compuserve days, over 20 years ago. And the one we have here now is perhaps the most disturbed (and longest lasting) troll I have ever seen. They're all narcissistic, but this half-educated goober takes the cake for post whoring and cries for attention. I have never put anyone on "ignore" in my life. But I will make a greater effort to police myself and just ignore him on my own.

Jokes aside, it has crossed my mind that this fellow may end up being someone we hear about on CNN or Fox News at some point: "Breaking News!!! Man goes berserk. Hostages taken!!!"

I'm being serious. There is definitely something wrong with him.

maildude

Postal Paranoiac
Thanks for the lesson. Gotta smoke? :pimpdaddy

squallumz

knows petras secret: she farted.
tuna! although i do prefer mine line caught. and jack poled.

fucking a, now im craving albies.

vodkazvictim

Why save the world, when you can rule it?
Trollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollollol

It seems some advice on the topic is needed, even though I'll bet most of it is already known and is mostly ignored anyway. But in the hopes of trying to make this board a better place, I present to you some advice - guidelines or rules, even - on combating and defeating a forum troll.

Here's rule #1: :troll:

So, is it ok to torment them just a wee little bit?