• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

2013-14 Football ("Soccer") Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm starting this up now, because for all intents and purposes, the 12-13 season is over, so we aren't really discussing it any more. Transfers, or more accurately, transfer gossip, is at the forefront of everybody's mind, it's widely expected that some of the best players in the world might be moving this summer, and we're all getting itchy already waiting for the new seasons to kick off in La Liga, Serie A, the Bundesliga and the Premier League - just for starters - and the continuation of the match to Brazil for the World Cup for the national teams.

Anyway to kick this thread off, allow me to post a reply to the most recent thought-provoking post in last season's thread :

Some of those are hilarious, although the Hargreaves one is heartbreaking because of his injury problems. Such a waste of what was becoming a great player. He was awesome in the World Cup quarter-final with Portugal, he was like an Energizer Bunny. You couldn't even tell which team was down to ten because of how hard Hargreaves was working. We should have won that match, Hargreaves was immense and Aaron Lennon's pace was terrifying their defence. I think we would have won if Sven had shown some balls and bought on Walcott instead of bringing on Jamie Carragher because he'd been taking good penalties in training. That worked out didn't it?? Disastrous shoot-out aside, how fitting it was that the only England player to score his penalty.... was Owen Hargreaves.

Andy Carroll completes move to West Ham, other tidbits

BNIBh9-CEAA5GVz.jpg

I still don't see why a bigger club hasn't gone in for him. I know Liverpool think they're too good to play to Carroll's aerial ability, but he'd have fit in well at Spurs. The best league position we managed for 15 years was with Crouch winning knockdowns for JD, and Carroll's better than Peter Crouch was/is.

Although, :rofl:

COMPARISON: Zinedine Zidane combined transfer fees: £50 million..... Andy Carroll combined transfer fees: £50.5 million

Barcelona defender Gerard Piqué insists the club must keep Thiago Alcântara amid interest from Manchester United.

They will. The lad's hot property. The only reason for me that a player would leave Barca is thinking they don't have a future at the club, and he's got one.

According to AS, Gonzalo Higuaín looks set to join Arsenal for a fee of around £22 million. The striker will be paid £115k/week.

I'll believe it when I see it. I could name three or four players Real would sell before Higuain, and a raft of clubs that could afford to give them a better offer than Arsenal.

Tottenham have appointed former England assistant manager Franco Baldini as technical director.

Good appointment. Although I hope his Roma connection doesn't mean we'll be sniffing around Borini.

Villa buy another player, shock
Source/stolen from bbc.co.uk

tumblr_mopguyFxKJ1svsahho1_1280.jpg

Aston Villa have made their fifth summer signing by bringing in Sevilla left-back Antonio Luna for an undisclosed fee. The 22-year-old, who came through the Sevilla youth set-up, made 11 La Liga appearances during a loan spell at Mallorca last season. He joins Villa on a three-year deal.

Luna joins winger Aleksandar Tonev, defender Jores Okore, midfielder Leandro Bacuna and striker Nicklas Helenius as Villa's summer signings.

In other news, the biggest mismatch in possibly international football history - Spain vs Tahiti - has just kicked off. The Brazilian fans are booing Spain's every touch which is hilarious, but Torres has already scored. Could be a cricket score, this.

Villa buy another player, shock
Source/stolen from bbc.co.uk

tumblr_mopguyFxKJ1svsahho1_1280.jpg

Aston Villa have made their fifth summer signing by bringing in Sevilla left-back Antonio Luna for an undisclosed fee. The 22-year-old, who came through the Sevilla youth set-up, made 11 La Liga appearances during a loan spell at Mallorca last season. He joins Villa on a three-year deal.

Luna joins winger Aleksandar Tonev, defender Jores Okore, midfielder Leandro Bacuna and striker Nicklas Helenius as Villa's summer signings.

In other news, the biggest mismatch in possibly international football history - Spain vs Tahiti - has just kicked off. The Brazilian fans are booing Spain's every touch which is hilarious, but Torres has already scored. Could be a cricket score, this.

The owner Randy Lerner does have some money so maybe these signings will push Aston Villa to the top 4 ? And i see the schedule is out starting Aug. 17th

Saturday 17 August 2013
10:00 Arsenal v Aston Villa Emirates Stadium All Ticket Options
10:00 Chelsea v Hull Stamford Bridge All Ticket Options
10:00 Crystal Palace v Tottenham Selhurst Park All Ticket Options
10:00 Liverpool v Stoke Anfield All Ticket Options
10:00 Man City v Newcastle Etihad Stadium All Ticket Options
10:00 Norwich v Everton Carrow Road All Ticket Options
10:00 Sunderland v Fulham Stadium of Light All Ticket Options
10:00 Swansea v Man Utd Liberty Stadium All Ticket Options
10:00 West Brom v Southampton The Hawthorns All Ticket Options
10:00 West Ham v Cardiff

The owner Randy Lerner does have some money so maybe these signings will push Aston Villa to the top 4 ?

Fucking hell lad, steady on. Going from "relegation battle" to "top 4 contenders" in one summer is almost impossible - even though Spurs did it in 09-10, their position at rock bottom when Redknapp took over ten games into 08-09 was a completely false position as Tottenham had a decent squad with players like Luka Modric and the emerging Gareth Bale, then went out and bought some proven Premier League players in Niko Kranjcar and Peter Crouch. Villa were piss weak for most of last season, and none of the five lads they've bought have played over here before. My best mate is a Villa fan, and he'd be happy to finish top half next year. It's another bedding in season, and I think they'll be alright, but it would be really premature to start thinking a push for Europe.

Besides - top 6 is full. :cool:

In other news that you might find heartbreaking or amusing depending, Spain ended up crushing Tahiti 10-0 (Torres 4, Villa 3, Silva 2, Mata). But fans of certain clubs will be amused to hear that on top of his four goals, "El Nino" missed a penalty.

Re: 2013-14 Football ("Soccer") Thread

Fucking hell lad, steady on. Going from "relegation battle" to "top 4 contenders" in one summer is almost impossible - even though Spurs did it in 09-10, their position at rock bottom when Redknapp took over ten games into 08-09 was a completely false position as Tottenham had a decent squad with players like Luka Modric and the emerging Gareth Bale, then went out and bought some proven Premier League players in Niko Kranjcar and Peter Crouch. Villa were piss weak for most of last season, and none of the five lads they've bought have played over here before. My best mate is a Villa fan, and he'd be happy to finish top half next year. It's another bedding in season, and I think they'll be alright, but it would be really premature to start thinking a push for Europe.

Besides - top 6 is full. :cool:

I am the optimist ha. It begins in a few weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

In other news that you might find heartbreaking or amusing depending, Spain ended up crushing Tahiti 10-0 (Torres 4, Villa 3, Silva 2, Mata). But fans of certain clubs will be amused to hear that on top of his four goals, "El Nino" missed a penalty.

I've been watching a little here and there with what ESPN and ESPN 2 are showing. But 10-0, damn.

Honestly, it was a no-win situation for Spain. Win by a cricket score - as they did - and it's "so what? You hammered Tahiti. It's to be expected." Yet if they had only won by 2 or 3, the knives would have been out. Realistically the media will spend more time talking about Torres' missed penalty than his four goals.

Still, Holland and Germany have both trounced a minnow by a bigger margin in recent years, and it's not like the world record was ever in any danger.

Australia 31–0 American Samoa (HT 16-0)
Boutsianis 10,50,84, Thompson 12, 23, 27, 29, 33, 37, 42, 45, 56, 60, 65, 85, 88, Zdrilic 13, 21, 25, 33, 58, 66, 78, 89,
Vidmar 14, 80, Popovic 17, 19, Colosimo 51, 81, De Amicis 55

damn, 31~ 0 ?? that is major !! every 5 min. almost a goal, that is a accomplishment.

damn, 31~ 0 ?? that is major !! every 5 min. almost a goal, that is a accomplishment.

Australia won that qualifying group after 4 games, scoring 66 goals and conceding none. I believe their last game they beat Samoa 11-0. As a consequence Australia and New Zealand successfully campaigned to have Oceania changed to a preliminary qualifying group and for themselves to be entered into the Asian qualifying group for the sake of better competition. Honestly, what's the point in playing a qualifier against a team you can rack up a respectable Rugby score against?

And yeah, 31-0 in a 90 minute match is better than a goal every 3 minutes. ;)

tartanterrier

Is somewhere outhere.
It was a good move for Australia to move from the Oceania to the Asian scene.I think it will improve them as a team now they have some decent competition to compete against.Whether New Zealand will follow them will remain to be seen though.

Looking forward to the Confederations Cup - Brazil Vs Italy match.It should give us wee taster of the World Cup coming next year....can't wait!!! :nanner:

It was a good move for Australia to move from the Oceania to the Asian scene.I think it will improve them as a team now they have some decent competition to compete against.Whether New Zealand will follow them will remain to be seen though.

Absolutely. I think New Zealand acquitted themselves well in the World Cup, the draw with Italy looks great on paper, even though drawing with that Italy team wasn't quite the achievement doing it today would be.

Looking forward to the Confederations Cup - Brazil Vs Italy match.It should give us wee taster of the World Cup coming next year....can't wait!!! :nanner:

Yeah, I'm going round a mate's house to watch it.

As for the World Cup, a lot of people I speak to are saying Germans, but I have to stick with South American World Cup = South American winner, and I'm actually going with Argentina. I just have a feeling it will finally click for them, Messi will actually show up, and Aguero will stick 5 or 6 in en route to a win.

Neymar stars again as Brazil put four past Italy

Confederations Cup, Group A, Arena Fonte Nova, Salvador – Italy 2 (Giaccherini 51, Chiellini 71) Brazil 4 (Dante 45+1, Neymar 55, Fred 67, 89)

Fred struck a brace and Neymar notched another world-class goal as Brazil beat Italy 4-2 to top Group A and maintain their 100 per cent record in this year's Confederations Cup at the Arena Fonte Nova.
The host nation took the lead on the stroke of half-time when Dante came off the bench to tuck in the rebound after Gianluigi Buffon had denied Fred with a stunning stop.
Italy fought back and levelled just after the break when substitute Emanuele Giaccherini latched onto a Mario Balotelli flick to coolly drill a low shot into the far corner.
Neymar then made it three goals in three matches with a sublime curling free-kick before Fred raced onto Marcelo's astute pass to thump high into the roof of the net.
The Azzurri kept pushing and set up a dramatic finale when Giorgio Chiellini swept into the bottom corner after Brazil had failed to clear a right-wing corner.
Christian Maggio then hit the bar with a free header before Fred wrapped up victory when he fired in a rebound late on.
It means Brazil look likely to avoid Spain in Wednesday's semi-final in Belo Horizonte where they will face the Group B runners-up. If, as expected, the world champions finish first in that pool they will meet the Azzurri 24 hours later in Fortaleza.
Both sides had come into the contest safe in the knowledge that they would each feature in next week's last four.
Six points from their respective opening two matches meant that the mouthwatering clash in Salvador was a showdown to see who could seal top spot in Group A and avoid a potential last-four meeting with an irrepressible Spain team.
The Italians were missing their inspirational playmaker Andrea Pirlo through injury and it showed in the opening exchanges as Brazil raced out of the traps.
First, Hulk was denied by a smart save from Buffon before Oscar saw a long-range piledriver whistle just past the upright via a deflection.
It was a five-minute spell that would have had the whole of Italy quaking but the Azzurri recovered to keep the hosts at bay for much of the half.
As an attacking threat they offered little, although Balotelli would have hoped to have done better when he miscued at the near post following a persistent run and cross from Claudio Marchisio on the left.
The rhythm of the half was effectively marred by a flurry of injuries and substitutions as Cesare Prandelli was forced to make two changes prior to the half-hour mark while Dante came on to replace Chelsea's David Luiz for Brazil.
The Bayern Munich defender was making only his fourth appearance for his country but marked it with a maiden strike when he gave the Samba Boys the lead in first-half stoppage time.
Buffon did brilliantly to keep out Fred's free header from Neymar's free-kick, but could do little to deny Dante who stroked home the rebound from what appeared to be an offside position.
The second half began similar to the first with Brazil on the front foot. Oscar tricked his way into the area and exchanged a tight one-two with Fred before toe-poking a shot straight at Buffon.
However, it was Italy who were next to show with a route one goal that caught the Brazilians napping.
A long ball by Buffon was flicked into Balotelli, who produced a sensational back-heel flick to free Giaccherini on the right. The Juventus man surged into the box before drilling a low shot across goal and into the far corner.
Brazil responded and four minutes later they restored their advantage courtesy of the player of the tournament so far. Neymar won a free-kick 25 yards from goal and brushed himself down before curling a sublime shot into the top corner that had Buffon rooted to the spot.
It was the Barcelona striker's 23rd goal in 37 internationals and another cameo of why he is so highly rated in his homeland.
The spring in Brazil's step returned and 23 minutes from time Fred made it three when he raced onto Marcelo's pass, held off Chiellini and crashed a shot high into the roof of the net.
But Italy refused to give up and they pulled a goal back four minutes later when Chiellini coolly fired into the bottom corner from Alberto Aquilani's lay-off.
Maggio then hit the bar with a thumping header from a right-wing corner before Brazil finally made sure of the points when Fred steered into an empty net after Buffon had spilled Marcelo's low shot.

MAN OF THE MATCH

Fred (Brazil) - A battling display from the striker who brought his barren run to an end with two well-taken goals.

PLAYER RATINGS

BRAZIL:
Cesar 6, Alves 6, Luiz 6, Thiago Silva 7, Marcelo 7, Luiz Gustavo 6, Oscar 6, Hernanes 6, Fred 8, Hulk 6, Neymar 7. Subs: Fernando 5, Dante 7, Bernard 5.

ITALY: Buffon 6, Chiellini 7, De Sciglio 6, Candreva 6, Aquilani 6, Marchisio 6, Balotelli 7, Montolivo 6, Bonucci 6, Abate 6, Diamanti 6. Subs: Maggio 7, El Shaarawy 5, Giaccherini 7.

Hernandez misses hat-trick chance as Mexico beat Japan

Confederations Cup, Group A, Estadio Mineirao – Japan 1 (Okazaki 86) Mexico 2 (Hernandez 54, 66)

Mexico finished their Confederations Cup campaign with an entertaining 2-1 victory over Japan thanks to two headers from Javier Hernandez.
Japan had a goal ruled out for offside inside 10 minutes when Yasuhito Endo’s shot struck Shinji Okazaki but it was Mexico who missed the half’s golden opportunity when Andres Guardado headed against the post when completely unmarked in the area.
Mexico flew out at the start of the second half, creating numerous opportunities, and deservedly took the lead when Guardado’s superb cross was met by the onrushing Hernandez before the Manchester United striker doubled the lead with a header at the back post.
Japan pulled themselves back into it when Okazaki’s strike bounced off the bar and over the line before more late drama when Hernandez was fouled in the area. However, the striker’s injury-time penalty was saved and he lashed the rebound against the crossbar.
Neither side could reach the semi-finals prior to kick-off, with Brazil and Italy both qualifying from Group A.
The Japanese drew plaudits for their fearless display of attacking football, albeit coupled with defensive fragility, against the Italians in their last encounter and started with a similar intensity as they probed the Mexican backline.
Their first chance came when the two Shinji’s, Okazaki and Kagawa, combined with the latter poking straight at Guillermo Ochoa when well placed.
And they thought they had taken the lead soon after when chaos in the Mexican area afforded Endo a strike at goal but his effort flicked the toes of Okazaki on the way through causing the linesman’s flag to shoot up.
The half then descended into a series of niggling fouls as both sides struggled to keep possession before it belatedly burst into life in the final five minutes as Guardado inexplicably headed against the post when free, Okazaki almost wriggled clear to shoot in the Mexican area and Eiji Kawashima flapped a powerful Jesus Zavala effort wide.
Mexico started the second half in impressive fashion and carved out two early opportunities as first Giovani Dos Santos cut inside and saw his fierce effort headed behind before Raul Jimenez nodded straight at Kawashima from the resulting corner.
But it didn’t take long for them to seize the advantage as Guardado worked some space down the left and delivered a teasing cross towards Hernandez who headed home from close range.
Dos Santos then almost doubled the lead when his half volley was tipped onto the post by Kawashima before Japan forged a chance of their own when Ryoichi Maeda cut inside and flashed a shot into the side netting.
Mexico grabbed their second soon after, aided by desperate Japanese defending from a corner, as Hiram Meir’s flick on was met by the head of Hernandez at the back post.
The Central Americans nearly grabbed a third when Dos Santos cut inside again, this time unleashing a strike which Kawashima turned wide as they sought to put the game beyond doubt.
Japan reduced the arrears with five minutes to play when Endo knocked the ball across for Okazaki to score via the bar to create a pulsating finish to the second half.
They threw players forward in a desperate attempt to get level but were made to pay when a swift Mexico counter led to Hernandez being fouled by substitute Atsuto Uchida inside the penalty area.
The Manchester United striker dusted himself down to take the spot kick but Kawashima flung himself to his right to save before the Mexican fired the rebound against the crossbar.
Mexico held on to claim an impressive win which hands them a much needed confidence boost ahead of their four crucial World Cup qualifiers in the autumn.

MAN OF THE MATCH

Giovani Dos Santos (Mexico) - Was pivotal in much of Mexico’s good work after coming alive in the second half.

PLAYER RATINGS

JAPAN: Kawashima 5, Kurihara 5, H.Sakai 6, Konno 5, Nagatomo 6, Endo 7, Hosogai 6, Honda 6, Kagawa 7, Okazaki 7, Maeda 6. Subs: Uchida 4, Yoshida 6, Nakamura 6.

MEXICO: Ochoa 6, Mier 7, Reyes 6, Moreno 6, Torres Nilo 6, Torrado 6, Zavala 6, Guardado 7, Dos Santos 8, Jimenez 7, Hernandez 8. Subs: Salcido 6, Barrera 6, Aquino 6.

U-20 World Cup - Turkey comfortably beat El Salvador in opener

Hosts Turkey began their Under-20 World Cup campaign in emphatic style with a 3-0 win over El Salvador in Trabzon.
Salih Ucan and Cenk Sahin (twice) got the goals at the Huseyin Avni Aker Stadium to put Feyyaz Ucar’s side top of Group C.
Joining them in that group are Colombia and Australia, who battled to a 1-1 draw at the same stadium that day.
Daniel De Silva is the youngest player at the tournament and put the Socceroos in front in the first half, only for striker Jhon Cordoba to level for Colombia 12 minutes from time.
The South Americans are next up for Turkey on Tuesday, with El Salvador needing to avoid defeat that day against Australia to remain in contention.
Meanwhile in Group D, Dimitrios Kolovos scored in the 89th minute to give Greece all three points against Mexico at Kamil Ocak.
They had led in the first half through Andreas Bouchalakis before Jorge Espericueta equalised for Mexico just before the break.
That puts the Greeks top of the group for the time being with Paraguay and Mali contesting a 1-1 draw.
Greece play Mali next on Tuesday, shortly after Mexico take on Paraguay. Both fixtures will be in Gaziantep.

A spot of editorial here on Brazil v Italy on top of the match report : the second half delivered goals and talking points but the first half was a complete non-event. The highlight package of Mexico/Japan afterwards made it look like it had been a better game from start to finish.

Neymar won a free-kick 25 yards from goal and brushed himself down before curling a sublime shot into the top corner that had Buffon rooted to the spot.

Won may be the operative word here. It was a very soft free kick. Thankfully this was leveled out to a degree with a contentious Italy goal later on.

The spring in Brazil's step returned and 23 minutes from time Fred made it three when he raced onto Marcelo's pass, held off Chiellini and crashed a shot high into the roof of the net.

By contrast, Fred deserves great credit for staying on his feet under Chiellini's challenge before smashing it home. Plenty of strikers would have gone down for a penalty. It's worth pointing out the defending was crap and Fred easily made his run between Chiellini and Bonucci.

But Italy refused to give up and they pulled a goal back four minutes later when Chiellini coolly fired into the bottom corner from Alberto Aquilani's lay-off.

This goal shouldn't have stood. Balotelli was fouled in the box, the ref audibly blew his whistle before Chiellini shot and seemed to be pointing at the spot just as the ball was crossing the line. Technically by blowing the whistle, he's stopped the match, so he should have forced Italy to take the penalty instead of just shrugging and going "oh well you've scored, fair enough." I'm sure some thickies at home were thinking about "playing advantage" - sure, letting the game carry on to see if an advantage occurs is fine, and the team scores, fair enough. This is different. He's ALREADY BLOWN HIS WHISTLE. Unfortunately the Brazilians - and crucially, Chiellini - played on. Split-second decision by the ref to let the goal stand, wrong decision. If it had been an important game, we'd be talking about this for weeks. Thankfully the goal didn't even end up important even in the context of the final result.

tartanterrier

Is somewhere outhere.
After watching the Brazil game last night.I think the World Cup in Brazil could be as good as Italia 90 (which has been my favorite world cup so far) I don't have a favorite for winning it just yet but I'd like to see the Brazilians win it to be honest.

Torres on target as Spain end Nigeria hopes

Confederations Cup Group B, Fortaleza - Spain 3 (Alba 3, 88, Torres 62) Nigeria 0

Spain booked their place in the Confederations Cup semi-finals with a 3-0 win over a wasteful Nigeria in Fortaleza.
Vicente del Bosque's world champions will face Italy in the last four on Thursday evening in a repeat of last year's European Championship final which Spain won 4-0 while Uruguay are also through as runners up in Group B after they clubbed Tahiti 8-0 in the night's other match.
They will meet host nation Brazil in an all-South American semi-final on Wednesday night.
Jordi Alba danced through a posse of white shirts to slide the ball into the net for the opening goal on three minutes before substitute Torres nodded home the second from Pedro's cross on 62 minutes.
Alba added the third goal on the break for Spain with two minutes remaining as he bounded onto David Villa's free-kick before rounding goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama to secure Spain three wins out of three after a 2-1 win over Uruguay and a 10-0 drubbing of Tahiti's part-timers.
Torres has now scored five goals from six shots on target in the 2013 Confederations Cup, and is showing flashes of his old form at these finals.
Spain progress as group winners on nine points. Uruguay join them on six with Nigeria's 6-1 win over Tahiti their solitary success last weekend.
Spain were probably fortunate to escape this match without conceding a goal as Nigeria contrived to pass up several chances to cut through an opposition side who are now 25 matches unbeaten in international climes.
John Obi Mikel saw a shot deflected over the bar by Gerard Pique on 11 minutes with Victor Valdes diving to swat a Sunday Mba effort past a post eight minutes later.
Joseph Akpala headed straight at Valdes from Efe Ambrose's cross with Jospeh Ideye narrowly failing to convert an Ambrose cutback seven minutes before half-time.
The chances continued to come and go for the African champions in the second period with Ideye failing to finish on 52 minutes after Valdes failed to hold Ahmed Musaab's cross.
Mohammed Gambo perhaps wasted Nigeria's best chance on 73 minutes when he mishit a volley wide after being played in by the dangerous Musaab, who had ghosted beyond Sergio Ramos like he was invisible.
Of course, Spain also had plenty of moments of their own with Cesc Fabregas hitting a post in the first half and Ramos nodding straight into the arms of Enyeama seconds before the break.
Enyeama also had to look likely to save from Roberto Soldado while Silva failed to direct a volley at goal after being played in by a crisp Andres Iniesta ball. In the end, none of it mattered as Spain progressed with a bit to spare.

MAN OF THE MATCH

Jordi Alba - Less a left-back, more an extra winger. Couple of lovely goals by the Barcelona player in a fine all-round performance.

PLAYER RATINGS

Nigeria: Enyeama 6, Oboabona 6, Echiejile 6, Ambrose 6, Omeruo 5, Mikel 6, Ogude 6, Mba 7, Musa 7, Ideye 6, Akpala 6...subs: Ogu 6, Egwueke 6, Gambo 6

Spain: Valdes 7, Arbeloa 7, Sergio Ramos 7, Pique 7, Jordi Alba 8, Xavi 8, Busquets 7, Iniesta 8, Pedro 7, Fabregas 7, Soldado 7..subs: Villa 7, Torres 7, Silva

As for the World Cup, a lot of people I speak to are saying Germans, but I have to stick with South American World Cup = South American winner, and I'm actually going with Argentina. I just have a feeling it will finally click for them, Messi will actually show up, and Aguero will stick 5 or 6 in en route to a win.

I may be one of the very few Germans who say that Germany won't win again. There is no doubt that we'll play the most amazing games during the Cup, but it we never get paid for it. Of course I will cheer for our team, but there is less hope in me seeing the team actually win it.

I wouldn't mind the Germans winning because I was telling my mates fucking years ago how good Muller, Ozil and Khedira were going to be and if they stayed a unit playing in the side together regularly there should be some silverware for them. They play the game the right way - direct, passing game with attacking intent and without a lot of the cheating or showboating that blight a lot of the other bigger teams. But there is a tendency to do 3/4 of the job then explode. 2006 and 2010 were both great chances to make the final (and arguably should have reached it in 2006 at least) and last year I fully expected them to have enough for the Azzurri only to find Balotelli in rampant form.

If my Argies prediction doesn't come off, I won't mind if the Germans win it. I actually think I'd hate it if England won, because then I'd have to share the moment with all the God-awful casual fans who drape those shitty flags on their cars and paint their faces for a tournament and don't actually watch the team for the best part of two years. "Ing-er-lund" fans do my nut in, they really do. Plus I hate most of the team. Cole, Gerrard, Rooney.... tossers all.

Looking at the squad alone, I wonder what odds for Belgium to make the semis, as a bit of an outside punt? They could be really tricky if all the stars align.

Status
Not open for further replies.