• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

2005-2006 FOOTBALL Season Official Thread

Tomorrow is the first BIG MATCH of the 2005-2006 soccer season in Europe :
Chelsea - Arsenal​

This match is the Charity Shield, a match between the winner of the English Premier League (Chelsea) and the FA Cup (Arsenal).

These two teams were 1st and 2nd at th end of last years Premier League Chapionship and they will be the main team (with Manchester United) for this season, both in English Premier League and UEFA Champion's League.

This is gonna be a kick-ass match :thumbsup:

Re: 2005-2006 Soccer Season Official Thread

Over the course of the season I think Chelsea's squad will be to good for Arsenal and they will finish above them but in a one off game Arsenal can match them and have a great record against Chelsea.

I can actually see the game going to penalties, say 1-1.

As for the season I think if United sign the right midfielder to cover or rotate with Keane then they will have a great chance this year, espically if Ruud can get back to his scoring best. I'm actually a Charlton Athletic fan but out of the top 3 I always favour Man United. They've got so many players I admire.

This evening (Sat August 6th) was day 2 of the French Championship.
2 games played, 2 victories for Paris-SG, they are #1 :thumbsup:
2 games played, 2 defeats for Marseille, they are in last position :thefinger

Last edited:

Would Lyon still be huge favourites this season? I know they've won it now about 4 times in a row.

They are favorites... But this years Teams such as Marseille, Paris and Monaco seems to be much stronger than last year.

But it is true that Lyon is a great team. They have kept all their best players (but Chelsea is trying to get Michael Essien) and they've bought Carew as striker.

Last edited:

Carew had a great season at Valencia a few years back and then has struggled since, he could be good for Lyon. There'd obviously miss Essien as he's a quality player, however £30 million? Thats way overpriced (not that they have to worry about money).

Chelsea made a bid of about 30 Millions Euros. Officialy, Aulas (Lyon' President) wants 45 Millions but he may accept this bid.

Anyway, Aulas said that if Essien leaves Lyon, it must be signed this week-end or never.

Lyon already bought Pedretti from Marseille and will probably buy Toulalan, from Nantes if Essien leaves. and they still have Diarra and Juninho, so it's gonna be ok anyway...

Last edited:

Pedretti has gone to Lyon? Didn't know that, he looks a very promising player. Are you actually French yourself?

If so what do you think of Zidane coming out of International retirement?

One of my favourite ever players, justs makes the game look ridiculously easy. Although I'm English even when he scored the two late goals against us at Euro 2004, I couldn't help buy admire the man.

1. Chelsea
2. Arsenal
3. Man Utd.

thats my top 3 no surprises but i could see a close battle atop the table, these teams are all excellent, chelsea is strong but are vulnerable to draws against teams they should beat

1.Chelsea
2.Man Utd
3.Arsenal
4.Liverpool
5.Tottenham

If Utd get Owen & Ruud is back to his best i wouldn't be surprised if Utd win it this year.

I agree with that top 5, not entirely sure Spurs will get 5th but Davids should really help. For Man United to win it, they'd need Rooney and Ronaldo to imporve on last season (both have so much potential), Ruud to bang in 25 - 30 goals like he did every season before last and sign a central midfielder. Keane is still quality but he only seems to play about 30 games a year and they haven't got any ready made replacement.

Owen would be a good signing, espically as Saha is virtually made of glass but if Ruud and Rooney are firing he's more than likely going to be on the bench there as well as at Madrid.

I'm Hoping that Liverpool can close the gap on Chelsea this year.
I don't think were quite up to winning the league, but if we can get 2nd or 3rd I'd be delighted.

Liverpool will probably perfectly fit on the beginning of the championship thought they have played the whole qualifyings rounds of Champion's League but they will probably be exhausted in the end of it...

Feelie said:
Pedretti has gone to Lyon? Didn't know that, he looks a very promising player. Are you actually French yourself?

If so what do you think of Zidane coming out of International retirement?

One of my favourite ever players, justs makes the game look ridiculously easy. Although I'm English even when he scored the two late goals against us at Euro 2004, I couldn't help buy admire the man.

Of course Zidane will be great help to the qualifiying for WC 2006 thought the team is actually in difficult position. But one the orther hands, it's no sure at all he will be in Germany this summer.
If the new generation cannot qualify in an easy groupe (Feroe, Cyprus, Israel, Switzerland, Eire) they just shouldn't bez allowed to go to Germany.
If you can't beat Eire, you'll be ridiculous when facing Italy, Brazil, Argentina...

When you got such stars as Barthez, Vieira, Henry or Trezeguet and good players such as Rothen, Dhorasoo, Giuly, you should be able to defeat Switzerland or Eire, even without Zidane.
Zidane's great but he's getting old, he will not be playing for France 'till 42 (like Milla did for Cameroon) and thsee qualifyings should be a good way to prepare the "after-Zidane" generation.

Last edited:

juballs said:
1. Chelsea
2. Arsenal
3. Man Utd.

thats my top 3 no surprises but i could see a close battle atop the table, these teams are all excellent, chelsea is strong but are vulnerable to draws against teams they should beat

I agree.

Wow, a footie topic on this forum. ?Yay!!! :)

nice work Johan, you sure know your Ligue 1:).

I'm also glad that PSG are going well, I've been waiting for that to happen for a long time now.
As far as Lyon goes, and with all respect to their team, I dont't think that thay have a very big chance of winning this season. one reason, one name : Houllier.

Throughout Europe it's gonna be interesting, and all the major championships will have an even battle as I've seen in the past ten years or so.

As far as surprise teams go, this season I would keep a close eye on Tottenham ( yay! again, go Spurs), Atletico Madrid and PSG in European competitions.

Charity Shield 2005

Chelsea 2 - 1 Arsenal

Didier Drogba scored both 2 goals for the Blues at 7Th and 57th minute.
Fabregas gave a little hope to arsenal by scoring the 2-1 goal but this was gonna be the final score.
During the whole game Henry never been in good position to strike, he was totally controled by Chelsea's defensers.

Lyon has won 4-1 today against olympiakos, they are now directly qualified to the 8th final of the champions ligue :hatsoff:
Juninho :bowdown:
Carew :bowdown:

How crap are Man utd this season? Sir Alex ferguson should retire now before he turns them into a laughing stock. Their own fans are turning against him now

om3ga

It's good to be the king...

Might as well give the Prem to Chelski now....still good luck tomorrow, Man. U...... :glugglug: